Thread: 05 Impala SS 3.8 S/C L67 and P04 Controller

05 Impala SS 3.8 S/C L67 and P04 Controller

I am trying to tune WOT in 2nd gear but am unable to exceed 98 mph or 5900 rpm. Not sure what the limiter is here. Thought I upped everything I could find.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attached are the 1st read (i think it is stock), working cal and a log file.

Perhaps you are out of gear at that speed, I've never tried to stay in 2nd gear past 90-94mph because the stock cam is out of peak horsepower after 5,500rpm. 5,800-5,900rpm shifts and low 90 mph shifts is great if you ask me.

You should add knock retard to the log too, it seems it could have some knock to it because the timing takes a dive in the upper rpms.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Perhaps you are out of gear at that speed, I've never tried to stay in 2nd gear past 90-94mph because the stock cam is out of peak horsepower after 5,500rpm. 5,800-5,900rpm shifts and low 90 mph shifts is great if you ask me.

You should add knock retard to the log too, it seems it could have some knock to it because the timing takes a dive in the upper rpms.
    Yes thanks for pointing that out. I noticed it after the help request.

Sounds good to me. We'll carry on from there.

Thanks again for the help.

Adjusted the trans shift tables accordingly. Looks like the WOT RPM table has the authority on these (not the mph). Got the main spark table corrected. Its real fun to drive. And the spark plugs look great too. Seemed to like about 11.6 commanded AFR. And about 13-14 deg spk at WOT. 93 pump gas. She got up to 165 kpa at about 58-5900 with the 3.6 pulley. That sound about right?

I aimed for 11.0 to 11.5 for safety and if you are 11.6 and it runs great, stick with it. Every car is just a tad bit different.

Same with timing, some can handle 16-18* just fine and others like 14-15*.

On my old 2000 GTP I ran a 3.6 pulley as well and saw 9psi on avg so you are right in the same ballpark with that vehicle. In the winter with much cooler air, seeing 10psi will be common.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Should we modify Spark>Retard>Knock Retard Attack table? How does it work on this platform? It is currently stock.

I never bothered to touch them.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    just for comparison sake:
    i tuned my uncles gxp with a 3.6 pulley. we saw 10 psi @ sea level and it seemed to settle in the 11.3-4 afr range with 15* adv.
    my uncle just had a simple CAI, shorty headers with crossover pipe, and the 3.6 pulley.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman