Thread: 6r80 6-2 downshift

Tuner in Training

6r80 6-2 downshift

I'm going to start out by saying that I'm currently stuck using SCT software to tune my 2016 3.5 Ecoboost F150. I have it driving exactly the way I want it to except for one problem. If I'm going 50-57MPH and hammer it to pass someone it will downshift from 6th all the way to 2nd. This shift puts it so close to the 2-3 upshift RPM that it is in shift torque reduction the entire time and feels really sluggish. Above 57MPH it goes to 3rd and has no torque reduction and accelerates a lot better. I have tried adjusting the 3-2 downshift OSS speeds below 50MPH but no luck in base mode. In sport mode this does not happen and it stays in 3rd. Does anyone know what controls the 6-2 downshift in base mode? I would prefer to figure out a way to stop it from going into second if not a way to reduce the torque reduction in second would also help.

P.S. sorry for taking up space on the HPtuners forum with my SCT questions. I can't anything like this forum for PRP customers.

Tuner in Training
    On my 2014 I disabled "Fast shifts" to fix an issue like this. I made my Fast shift schedule the same as my normal mode. There is a switch to shut this off as well.

Senior Tuner
    I'm not sure how this translates to the SCT software but hopefully it makes sense.

I'm attaching a snip of the base and sport shift maps to explain whats going on.

shift map.PNG

The blue boxes are the minimum OSS speed to get into 6th gear. once in 6th gear the OSS speed can drop as low as the grey boxes before going back down to 5th. These are positions of no to little throttle.

cruising in 6th at low RPMs the OSS will be above the grey boxes and going to WOT or position 14 you can see in both maps it should be possible to go to 2nd, as the values are less than the red boxes, with the sport map having a smaller window.

lowering the WOT 2>3 shift point(red box) should prevent it from going into 2nd. probably not what you want to do.

The other thing is what you said you tried the 3>2 down shift(black boxes). In the sport map this is less than the minimum you can be in 6th. In the base map it is not. If modifying this value did not fix it then the only other thing that can help you prevent the downshift is the downshift prevention RPM. I'm not sure if you have access to that in SCT. I doubt that is what you are looking for as well because it doesnt in sport but does in the base map.

Make the base map 3>2 downshift go from 1839 to 1900 to finally 1950 and I think your shifting to 2nd issue should go away.

Setting The shift enabled torque reduction to disabled should prevent the torque reduction on any upshift or down shift. You could also raise the 6> 2, 5> 2, and 4>2 downshift torque values up to 425 in the higher turbine torque cells like the 3>2 to prevent the torque reduction for your specific situation.
    Last edited by murfie; 01-15-2017 at 02:48 AM.

Tuner in Training
    trans switches.jpgbase shift schedule.jpgsport shift schedule.jpg

NickSezz- I don't appear to have a fast mode schedule available but I so have a lot of switches for different modes. I have tried setting "switch enabling early kickdown" to 0 but nothing changed. I may try changing some more to see what happens.

murfie- I attached my base and sport shift schedule. I see what you're saying. In base mode you can be as low as 1600 oss RPM in 6th which is less than 2000 I have for the 3-2 downshift. In SCT I believe the downshift prevention RPM is called "Max Engine Speed Allowed After Downshift". This is set to 5200RPMs originally. I went as low as 4500RPMs with no affect. When I originally made this thread way back in October I was missing that parameter and all of the torque reduction tables. They have since been added. I have reduced the torque reductions for those shifts which definitely helps. Still seems it would be better just to go to 3rd instead of 2nd. Could you explain "Make the base map 3>2 downshift go from 1839 to 1900 to finally 1950 and I think your shifting to 2nd issue should go away."? Does that mean lowering the 3-2 downshift speed or raising them?

Senior Tuner
    ok so it looks like you lowered your minimum 6>5(top of column 9) down to 1600 in the base map. Make your 3>2(bottom of column 6) lower than 1600 and it will not go from 6th to 2nd.

Tuner in Training
    Its actually called Fast Mode in SCT. I just looked back and there isn't a table fora 6-2 shift there anyway. My issue was an unnecessary kick down when accelerating aggressively. It would stat in the perfect gear then jump down another gear and put the engine at too high of an RPM. May be good for stock power but not 18lbs of boost so I nixed it. Murfie may have your solution there.

Tuner in Training
    base shift schedule new.jpg
    WOT Shift MAP Per Id.jpg

No luck moving the shift points around. FYI, Red numbers mean I raised the values from the original, blue is lowered, black is untouched. I also disabled fast mode just in case. I'm wondering if it has something to do with this WOT Shift MAP Per Id table, but the axis are not labeled so it's hard to understand what this table does or how it works.

Senior Tuner
    the axises are labeled in HPT the tables are layed out the same. heres and image of the WOT table.

WOT shift axis labels.PNG

Make these higher than what your OSS translates to in the shift tables.

SCT is also confusing because they say columns 1-5 and 6-10 when the columns start at 0 and end at 9.
    Last edited by murfie; 01-22-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the labels. They're already higher than what's in the base shift schedule. I may experiment with copying the whole sport mode schedule over to the base table when I get the chance. Also try disabling speed mode. With the torque reduction reduced as much as I have it now, and how fast it's shifting it's no longer as necessary to disable the downshift. I may just give up and live with what I got.

Tuner in Training
    Update: Copy and pasted the sport mode shift schedule into the base mode table. Now instead of going 6-2 at 55MPH it goes 5-2. So there seems to be some background logic forcing it to go to second gear at those speeds and pedal position. Why Ford would do this and make it so difficult to get around is beyond me. And just to try it I disabled speed mode and it made no difference.