Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't people here talk about the coolest VCM feature? (HP and Torque gauges)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 15PSI View Post
    Try Virtual dyno....
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Senior Tuner
    just use the cyl airmas and dynamic airflow and put them together in the timeline chart and u get a virtual dyno graph, cyl air is torque and dynamic air is hp

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    just use the cyl airmas and dynamic airflow and put them together in the timeline chart and u get a virtual dyno graph, cyl air is torque and dynamic air is hp
    Thanks, but I'm not exactly sure what timeline chart you're talking about + what units to use...
    Are you talking about the Chart vs. Time chart in VCM Scanner? I just replaced the 2 LTFT ones with MAF Cyl Airmass (V8) + Dynamic Airflow and the MAF is reading around 0.10-0.72(g) and the Dynamic Air(g/s) isn't reading at all
    How would I get a horsepower and torque reading from that???
    Can you upload a screenshot or tell me more please?

Senior Tuner
    u will have to log dynamic air if ur not already, or u could just the torque calc and a hp calc and put them together on the chart v time and u get a virtual dyno, i found the hp calc to be close to engine hp like the torque calc is close if u just want a basic reading of what is going on, ill see if i can find my info n put it up when im back on the laptop

Senior Tuner
    looks like the calc hp/torque are just the same as the dynamic air/ cyl air, here is a part of one of my logs pity the readings arnt spot on

Banned
    Thanks mate.

Banned
    I finally got my 1st (MAX) horsepower and torque readings yesterday after work
    (Had more technical difficulties before that.. HP and torque gauges wouldn't work.. selected a different torque gauge and that fixed the prob.)
    (Also spewing because I recorded a run on my way to work in the morning and just when the LS1 warmed up and I turned into a large main open road and dropped the hammer, VCM Suite froze! All that wasted rubber and wear n tear + waking up at 5:40am for nothing )

389 HP (IAT at 34 degrees C. Damn traffic. Felt way-down on power.. compared to driving when it's cold/winter)
    413 Nm (IAT at 27 degrees C.)
    Gear: 1st
    Baro pressure: 99.28 kPa.
    Engine mods: usual bolt-ons.

So I'm thinking..
    - the power reading is a little high (I hope not). Like by 10%. Was expecting that figure after I had tuned it.
    - the power reading is at the engine obviously, not wheels.
    - the torque reading seems to be 100% accurate if it was taken from the rear wheels. If I get the standard LS1 torque figure, add around 40 Nm to it (due to my mods), then multiply that by 0.85 (drivetrain loss), then it's spot on.

Also, I want to put this here in case it helps people
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    The max torque timing table is used by the ECM to determine the amount of torque the engine is making. The torque calculations are usually referenced to a "Mean Best Timing" table (the table you are asking about).

So if your engine is running at 22deg spark and the MBT table says 24deg it uses this 2deg difference to offset the calculated torque values. Note that the MBT is often a theoretical number.

There's really no need to modify this table, we only ever really added it for the LS1 V8 engines for infomation and that got carried over to the V6 during that development.

On Fords the MBT is actually enforced as a maximum allowed timing, but for GM it is not.

Chris...
    Taken from this thread http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...e-timing-table

Banned
    Hmm, I wonder what my hp/torque readings/difference will be in 3rd gear. Will post results..