Thread: LS1 Swap into a 68 Camaro

Potential Tuner

LS1 Swap into a 68 Camaro

I just had a swap completed on my 68 Camaro and have a fresh guaranteed start PCM being delivered tomorrow From Wiring specialties. They suggested I ask here for tune advice to see if anyone has a premade tune for the engine.

I am using https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-54-600-11 as the cam, it requires a custom tune. It does have flat top pistons, a standard 85mm Throttle body, arp stud bolts, larger than stock injectors but I am not sure the size. This is all running into a automatic 700r4 transmission that is cable controlled for the TV cable and lockout.

Can anyone point me to a tune that would work decently with this setup until I have a chance to get it to a dyno tuner?

Please ask anything I may have missed. I am a noob and doing my best to gain a fast track understanding of this.

Thanks!

Silver

Senior Tuner
    219/233 .553/.539 with a 109LSA. A bit odd cam for a LS1. 14 degrees duration split. And with the 109LSA I hope you have a loose converter for that 700R4 to help it idle in gear. And a standard LS1 TB is 75mm measured n the back side opening. I would flash the PCM with a manual trans 01-02 F-body file to start with and then tune it for the cam. That is assuming you are using a P1 PCM and wiring harness.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the thoughts, I will try that first my harness and pcm are from wiring specialties. The builder choose the cam in his build but what I am finding is he was guess working much of it. I am old school, carb and distributor type guy this LS1 was to bring my car into todays engines and allow it to be a daily driver. Sadly I had to take it back from the guy unrunning when he was 5 months late in the build process and about 4K over budget. At this point I think or at least hope I have it all figured out minus this tune potion. Tuning a car by flashing a computer is new to me. So I do appreciate the help!

Potential Tuner
    What do I need to pay attention too when tuning the pcm for the cam?

Potential Tuner
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...02+F-body+file

I think this post answered many of my questions. If you think there is anything I still need to look for please! So far I have been able to reseeach what you have written and cross reference it with other like posts to help me make sense of it all.5