Thread: HP tuner help for a dummie!!!!

Potential Tuner

HP tuner help for a dummie!!!!

I have a lq9 414 stroker with all ls3 top end. I just bought a 100mm maf installed now the car wont run right. I bought the hp tuner pro figuring there are alot of people that know there stuff and could help. I installed everything I have no clue where to start to tune the 100 mass air to the car. Sorry pry a stupid question but just need help where to start and how to do it.

Potential Tuner
    Anything????

Sounds like a fun motor
    Are you running with a stock tune or has it already been dialed in (except for the 100mm MAF)?

Honestly most agree that it is best to start with SD tuning (speed density, also referred to as VE or Volumetric Efficiency as that is what the SD chart is based on)(basically MAF turned failed)........then you can turn your attention to tuning the MAF. Here is a thread that will help you get started.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3833

There are a number of threads about MAF tuning too...which is simpler than SD. Feel free to ask specific questions as they come up. Good luck!

Potential Tuner
    Thank you sir.. Yes the motor was tuned before just adding the maf. also I watch the tuner and it looked a lot different then the one I have but I am guessing mine is just the newer version and I bought this thinking it shouldn't be that hard to learn, as I built the whole car but this whole fuel injection thing is kicking my ass. Again thanks for the help like I said I plugged it all in and I just don't know where to start I will check out the thread you just gave me.

Well there is a lot to it but reading the basics stuff over and over and then trying it...is about as good as it gets at the beginning. Once you have built a basic foundational knowledge of the process, and done it over and over...then you start to see the progress and wonder about the details...

Cool that it was already tuned. I hope they did well. A lot of guys on here buy HP Tuners and start studying only to find out that the tune they paid several hundred dollars for wasn't half as good as they can do with some time and effort.....so it is totally worth it.

Even having been tuned I would still go through the SD process outlined in the link I sent just to make sure that the trims are between 0 and -4 or even better if you have the patience. Then you can turn the MAF back on and correct it. Maybe somebody on here can tell you how much they had to correct after installing a 100mm MAF but ALL MAF sensors are off to some extent and it is not too tough to improve those numbers. Just be patient and make smaller changes in the beginning until you get the hang of it.

AND MAKE SURE TO SAVE A COPY OF THE TUNE YOU STARTED WITH You might even email it to yourself just to be sure.

Advanced Tuner
    Used the stock factory MAF.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for all the help guys I have been reading alot. I am trying to find someone that would kinda talk me through it a little bit over the phone while I have everything connected to go over on where to start there are so many numbers and so many options and all the forums that I look at dont look like the system that I have it looks like they are posted from 2004 and the versions must be different or mine is not set up exactly like theres.

Tuner in Training neblackshirts's Avatar
    I have a TSP 100mm MAF and won't tune right at all so my car is currently on a SD tune only. The shop my Camaro was in had two others that couldn't get the tunes straight and both of those had TSP 100mm MAF also.

Here's my post on here:
    01 Camaro 408 Finish Line Transmission Stage 5 4l60e 3600 stall Yank - Advice on Tune

I have a copy of my current tune in that thread if that helps going to a SD tune.

080716-1315.hpt

Here's a run down of the specs on mine:

Heads - AFR Mongoose 230cc / 62cc
    Injectors - 60# FAST
    Intake - FAST 102MM
    Throttle Body - FAST 102MM
    Plugs - NGK TR55
    Fuel Pump - Aeromotive Stealth 340
    Block - LQ9 4.03"
    Cam - Comp 243/251, .624/.624, 111+1 LSA, 110 ISL Block - LQ9 4.03"
    Crank - Lunati 4.00" Stroke
    Pistons - JE 4.04, 12cc Dished for 11:1 compression
    Rods - Lunati 6.125" H-Beam

Axles - Moser 30 Spline
    Center - Eaton Posi
    Converter - Yank 3600
    Rear - KTRE 3.73 12 Bolt
    Trans Cooler - B&M 24,000 with fan
    Transmission - 4L60E, Finish Line Level 5
    Last edited by neblackshirts; 10-20-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Potential Tuner
    do you have any problems with just SD like having to tune all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Roguecanine View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys I have been reading alot. I am trying to find someone that would kinda talk me through it a little bit over the phone while I have everything connected to go over on where to start there are so many numbers and so many options and all the forums that I look at dont look like the system that I have it looks like they are posted from 2004 and the versions must be different or mine is not set up exactly like theres.
    Contact Ed at ERM Performance.... You can I.M. him on this forum.... His user name is Mowton... He's an instructor/moderator for this forum...He can walk you through the tune process.... Good luck
    Last edited by Jggregory99; 10-25-2016 at 08:30 PM.
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

Potential Tuner
    Cool I will do that. I am figuring more out by looking at all of it but I just want to make sure I am doing it right. One more question the tuner said I need more air going into my motor, he said I need a bigger mass air so I bought the 100mm that connects the IAT into the mass. Should I try to tune that or just go with speed density.

Start with SD, and get that straight... This way you can run SD and get the MAF dialed in later. Just have to have a WB for MAF and WOT tuning. But SD will at least get you up and running. Set MAF Htz Fail High to 2 and Low to 1. DTC's P0101,02,03 to Mil on First.. Engine Light should come on immediately. That will put you in SD. Good luck...
    Last edited by Jggregory99; 10-25-2016 at 08:31 PM.
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

Potential Tuner
    Thank you sir!

Tuner in Training neblackshirts's Avatar
    do you have any problems with just SD like having to tune all the time
    Honestly I'm very green to this so only time will tell, but have been told that a SD tune can be picky on colder days (fall and winter) and elevation changes can have effects but nothing significant. I've posted a few threads trying to get some insight on things also. Mine seems to almost flood itself on cold starts and wants to stumble and die if I come to a quick stop, but if I coast smoothly to a stop seems fine and will hold an idle ok. Was in the process of having tune looked at when I broke a reverse sprag and carrier in a built Level 5 Finish Line 4l60e. Only put maybe 10-13 miles on car when things went to hell.

Any changes in fueling should be automatically corrected based on the MAP and Baro sensors, so tuning at altitude shouldn't produce that much of a difference than Sea level, at least not so much that a re-tune would be required when going to lower elevations. At least that is my understanding. As I only travel from about 1000ft Elv. to Sea Level on a given day, I have never had a problem running SD on my 6.0L Silverado. Just have to make sure you REALLY dial in the VE tables using the LTFT+STFT math to an error factor of +/- 2-3%. To reach that takes some time and a bit of driving, and using the built in filters of the VCM Scanner to filter out deceleration, idle, hard acceleration, and non steady fuel trim cells. When doing your copy/paste function, as you get within 5% error, start using the multiply by half % function..

Potential Tuner
    I called Ed Mowton with erm tuning he is a great guy just sent over all my stuff we are going to do the Tuning together that will be a great learning experience. Thank you Jggregory99 for all the input and recommendation.

I called Ed Mowton with erm tuning he is a great guy just sent over all my stuff we are going to do the Tuning together that will be a great learning experience. Thank you Jggregory99 for all the input and recommendation.
    Your Welcome... Ed's a good guy.... I learn a LOT from him... He keeps me from

We all got to start somewhere, so Good luck... and happy tuning...