Thread: intermittent starting and idle issue

intermittent starting and idle issue

I have an 01 5.3 with a 224R cam, and long tubes.

Some times, HOT OR COLD, it will start hard or not at all. after several attempts it will start, but it will idle like crap, and try to stall. You have to bump the gas to keep it running. After a few seconds of this, it will come out of it and run fine. Also, some times when you push the clutch in at a light, or stop sign, it will stumble and shut off.

It does not do this all the time. I have attached the tune. and a normal log file. I can not get it to do this the times I have been logging it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

wow, great forum, great support!

Advanced Tuner
    sounds like you need to tune your idle and running airflow tables to me. i wouldn't expect much help with that attitude though. you wait two days expecting someone else to solve a problem you probably created, then you post some hateful shit. not gonna get far in life like that. I just waited a week for someone to bite on a thread I made in the transmission section, but i didn't post any absurdity's or criticize the forum either.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    this should get you started, usually you must provide a scan of the event

IDLE/AIRFLOW/BASE RUNNING/IDLE AIRFLOW copy numbers in say 44* Celsius column put in 140 and interpolate

START UP INITIAL put 1 in Zero boxes

AIRFLOW/GENERAL/MAIN VE start with your stock map and lower your VE in 400 15%/800 10%/1200 5%

I would also go for 1 bar SD and not MAF and get your self a wideband and RTT it
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

so did you have any input on my above noted issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleblu View Post
    sounds like you need to tune your idle and running airflow tables to me. i wouldn't expect much help with that attitude though. you wait two days expecting someone else to solve a problem you probably created, then you post some hateful shit. not gonna get far in life like that. I just waited a week for someone to bite on a thread I made in the transmission section, but i didn't post any absurdity's or criticize the forum either.

So do you have any input on the issue I am having?

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    this should get you started, usually you must provide a scan of the event

IDLE/AIRFLOW/BASE RUNNING/IDLE AIRFLOW copy numbers in say 44* Celsius column put in 140 and interpolate

START UP INITIAL put 1 in Zero boxes

AIRFLOW/GENERAL/MAIN VE start with your stock map and lower your VE in 400 15%/800 10%/1200 5%

I would also go for 1 bar SD and not MAF and get your self a wideband and RTT it
    Thank you!

I will set that up tonight, and give it a try in the morning. I will have to try starting it while logging and see if it will do it while logging.

Advanced Tuner
    My input is to take sultans advice he is a big help around here. Don't be afraid to spend some hours tuning your idle and part throttle area's of the VE table. And don't forget to smooth after major copy and paste work.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleblu View Post
    My input is to take sultans advice he is a big help around here. Don't be afraid to spend some hours tuning your idle and part throttle area's of the VE table. And don't forget to smooth after major copy and paste work.

The tune in the truck is solid. I have it dialed in where I want it, and it runs awesome. 95% of the time, it starts, and idles perfectly and drives with no issues. Every once and a while it wont start easy. it stumbles and dies, and after a few tries, its fine again. also, every once and a while, coming to a stop light, it will stall, and be hard to start. after it gets fired up again, its fine. I have spent a lot of time chasing sensors, wires, making sure there are no vacuum leaks, or loose connections. It shows no code, and no engine lights.

I feel like it may be in the tune, but something tells me I have a gremlin some where.

Advanced Tuner
    I would say if you have exhausted every possible mechanical issue, which is seems like you have. Its probably gonna be in the tune itself. Did you try sultan's attempt at fixing the issue? Can you post a couple scanner logs, this way we can physically see what the truck is doing. Even if you don't get it to stall there is still tons of info we can use in a log.

Just looking over your tune again I notice you have rolling idle, throttle cracker and throttle follower disabled. Is there any particular reason why? those are useful tools when depressing the clutch and coasting down off throttle. Also your maf curve and VE table are pretty choppy. they could use some serious smoothing to be honest with you. one more thing is a PE eq ratio of 1.08 makes for a commanded afr of 13.5 which is a good bit on the lean side for my personal preference.
    Last edited by Oleblu; 10-18-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: add on

OP- those are some nice timing table. Very smooth and nice transitions!

Weaponized. youve been told how to fix the problem. yet you keep stating the tune is correct.
    if it was correct you wouldnt have an issue.
    take the advice and tune your idle issue.
    or take it to a pro that knows.

I have made suggested changes to the tune, but I have not had a chance to do much with the truck.

I also scanned for trouble codes, and there was a pending code for a cam position signal error.

I bought a new sensor, but haven't installed it yet.

when I get a chance this weekend to flash the tune in, and change the sensor, I will post the results. Thanks for the info!

keep in mind the changes are incremental. keep adding to the base airflow and see if it gets better or worse and change accordingly.
    by the way asking for peoples tunes isnt going to help you. you cant just flash peoples work and expect it to run on your car/truck.
    each vehicle is unique in needs of fuel and air and timing.