Thread: Tuning on a vp44?

Potential Tuner

Tuning on a vp44?

I haven't tried it yet, but I am buying a 2001 vp44 truck and want to know if I can tune it...anyone know?, there is no one in the forum that has done it.

Advanced Tuner
    It's not supported by HP Tuners.

Potential Tuner
    damn...is there a reason? or is there just no demand for it?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselmanng View Post
    damn...is there a reason? or is there just no demand for it?
    I can't claim to know exact reasons, but I would dare say that it would require an extensive amount of resources on HP Tuners end to figure out communication (read/write) protocols, as well as reverse engineering to map out and define all essential parameters of the various calibrations throughout the model years.

It could even require firmware and, worse case, hardware modifications to the pass-through cable in order to add support for that ECM.

In the end, the VP44 trucks likely don't meet near enough demand for resources like that to be spent.

Tuner
    i think its coming soon!
    Joe ''House'' Kupferschmid
    Diesel Tuning man..
    FB me or
    www.angoladavesdiesel.com

Tuner in Training
    Smarty UDC pro has 98.5-02 VP44 custom tuning. Just saying.

Tuner
    I reckon I can support them too with the software I've got. Never tried though...

Quote Originally Posted by sasdakota View Post
    Smarty UDC pro has 98.5-02 VP44 custom tuning. Just saying.
    Hmm didn't know that. Can the VP-44 trucks be tuned with software to make any real power? Any "handheld tuner" that I have ever seen on those trucks makes about 50hp. To get them to push any real fuel it seems you need to tap the injection pump wire.

Is this the case with UDC? Or can you make the power with software only?

Smarty UDC Pro is currently limited to around 60 hp via OBDII just like all others that go that route. I have heard rumors about Smarty tapping the pump but i think that is just heasay at this point and i wouldn't bank on it!

Tuner in Training
    From the tables I have seen I think it is feasible to have 4k fueling without weird "quirks".

Need to talk a buddy into buying a 98.5-02 so I can tinker on it. Otherwise I am just making guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Stroker View Post
    Smarty UDC Pro is currently limited to around 60 hp via OBDII just like all others that go that route. I have heard rumors about Smarty tapping the pump but i think that is just heasay at this point and i wouldn't bank on it!
    Figured as much, that was always my understanding.

Now does anyone know what the wire tap does?