Thread: RaceRender Lap Analysis

Tuner in Training

RaceRender Lap Analysis

Perhaps I missed it. Does RaceRender offer lap analysis? Something like Circuit Tools from RaceLogic.
    If not, are there plans to offer option in RaceRender an export function to VBO file format that could be used by CircuitTools?

RaceRender's design focus is on video, so although you could potentially use it to do some analysis, using it that way would require some manual effort and may be a bit limited at that.

Ideally, the data acquisition system you are using would provide an analysis solution that is tailored to the capabilities of that particular product. And fitting that, our own analysis features are mostly contained in our data acquisition products, TrackAddict and VCM Scanner, with both of those taking a different approach that really fits those individual products well. For TrackAddict, I expect that a future version will also offer an option to export into alternate formats (quite likely including VBO), as I've already done some work to that end (one of the many things that the .TAD files could be helpful for)...

Tuner in Training
    Hi Weston,
    Glad to hear the export to VBO feature is on the radar. Any thoughts on how the video file would be handled? Specifically in the case of an external CAM (GoPRo or Garmin VIRB XE). My thought is once the VBO file export is available, I would like to use Circuit Tools for the lap analysis, which also has the ability to present the video along with the lap data.

Quote Originally Posted by habeb View Post
    Hi Weston,
    Glad to hear the export to VBO feature is on the radar. Any thoughts on how the video file would be handled? Specifically in the case of an external CAM (GoPRo or Garmin VIRB XE). My thought is once the VBO file export is available, I would like to use Circuit Tools for the lap analysis, which also has the ability to present the video along with the lap data.
    That piece would be up to however the Circuit Tools software handles video... You can obtain the raw .MP4 file from TrackAddict that is inherently sync'ed with the data, and if you used TrackAddict to control a GoPro or other external camera, those .MP4 files should be pretty closely in sync too (typically within a second or two).

Tuner in Training
    Hi Weston,

Regarding the support for VBO file export, is there plans to include the attributes "avifileindex" and "avisynctime" in the VBO file "header" and "column names"?
    I located a doc online outlining a manual method to link video to the VBO file so Circuit Tools can display the lap data along with the associated video file.
    It would be nice if TrackAddict would include the data with the "avifileindex" and "avisynctime" columns.

Regards,
    John
    Last edited by habeb; 12-22-2016 at 04:28 AM.

We haven't gotten that far quite yet (lots of other features being worked on here too), but from what I've researched, it looks possible to do this... I'll keep it in mind when we implement the feature. The user may still need to rename his video file (and possibly convert its format if that software doesn't like our .MP4), so it would be a semi-advanced feature.

Tuner in Training
    From what I've read, if MP4 is not called out in the VBO file, circuit tools assumes AVI.

Tuner in Training
    By the way how far out on the road map is this feature scheduled?

Tuner in Training
    Hi Weston,

Managed to find a temporary solution for lap analysis. Dashware is now available free and accepts TrackAddict CSV data files, as well as GoPro MP4 video files. The TrackAddict CSV file needs to be modified to avoid errors during import.
    1- The first line needs to be modified by removing the "," (comma). Dashware is interpreting the comma as a delimiter and generates an error if present.
    # RaceRender Data: TrackAddict 3.4.2 on iOS 10.1.1 [iPhone7,1] (Mode: 0)
    Change to:
    # RaceRender Data: TrackAddict 3.4.2 on iOS 10.1.1 [iPhone7 1] (Mode: 0)

2- The lines below must be removed.
    # Vehicle:
    # Vehicle App ID:
    # End Point: 39.538479

Unfortunately Dashware runs only on Windows and currently only works on Windows 10 version 1511. The later version of Windows 10 breaks the Video support.

Would really love to see RaceRender provide this capability in the future. Something with dual video comparisons sync'd with the data. The RaceKeeper Comparo software is pretty close to ideal, but they do not have plans to support MAC OS.

By the way how far out on the road map is this feature scheduled?
    It would most likely be an added bonus with new features that are planned between versions 3.5 and 3.6.

Potential Tuner
    Looking forward to support for vbo files.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    It would most likely be an added bonus with new features that are planned between versions 3.5 and 3.6.
    Hi Weston,

Quick clarification, the VBO file export is planned for RaceRender or Trackaddict?

Hi Weston,

Quick clarification, the VBO file export is planned for RaceRender or Trackaddict?
    The export would be a TrackAddict feature. It's most appropriate and reliable for the data acquisition product to handle converting its own data into other formats.

RaceRender should also be able to read these files, much like the .VBO files that it already supports.

Update: We'll be releasing TrackAddict version 3.5 very soon (hopefully tonight; iOS may take another day or two), and it will offer .VBO export, along with some other formats and some other new features. The data export feature will be available for most recorded sessions that have taken place since the past year or maybe two (it's generated from those .TAD data files that started appearing a while back), and it's accessible via the "Share" button after you've opened the session.

The video linking functionality for Racelogic's Circuit Tools is also supported, if you do the following:

1) You will need to copy the associated video file from your phone onto your computer (iOS users should use iTunes File Sharing; Android users could use USB File Transfer, or Share -> Send Raw Video File).

2) That video file will need to be placed in the same folder on your computer as the .VBO file, and you must rename it to add '_0001' to the end of its file name. So, "Log-20170428-102545 My Race Track" needs to become "Log-20170428-102545 My Race Track_0001".

3)
    . a) iOS Users: You must also change the file extension from .mov to .mp4
    . b) Android Users: This currently only works with the first video chunk (if you had recorded long enough for it to be split into several video files)

Tuner in Training
    Weston,

This is freaking awesome and will certainly help with supporting on track analysis. To clarify the file rename (append '_0001') Did you mean the video file ?

Tuner in Training
    Tried the Trackaddict v3.5 and export (VBO) an session from Nov 2016. Circuit-Tools can read the TrackAddict log data but I'm not sure how to handle the video, which was captured from a gopro4 session. Already renamed the video to .mp4 extension and stored in the same directory as the VBO file named "Log-20161118-092128 Thunderhill - East - 2_0001.vbo".

Tuner in Training
    Regarding the trackaddict video integration, reviewed my exported VBO file "Log-20161118-092128 Thunderhill - East - 2_0001.vbo", noticed it does not include the columns "avifileindex" "avitime".

The exported VBO file also does not include the pointer to the video filename, like the VBO samples from Racelogic VBOX.

[avi]
    Julian_Q2_2
    AVI

Tried the Trackaddict v3.5 and export (VBO) an session from Nov 2016. Circuit-Tools can read the TrackAddict log data but I'm not sure how to handle the video, which was captured from a gopro4 session. Already renamed the video to .mp4 extension and stored in the same directory as the VBO file named "Log-20161118-092128 Thunderhill - East - 2_0001.vbo".
    The video linking (ie the "AVI" section and associated fields) will be added automatically if exporting a .VBO file from TrackAddict, when that session has an internal video recording associated with it. At this time, it does not apply to external video recordings (ie GoPro), as we don't presently capture that status or those file names in our data recordings.

To accommodate users who desire that functionality, I may be able to add a more manual option to generate that data upon user request in the future... The catches are that it would only apply to one video file (since we won't know at which times the GoPro split it into additional files; you might try using video software to combine them into one file), and of course the raw video/data sync wont be quite as precise as it is with an internal video recording (but it should still be close, typically within 1 second).

Tuner in Training
    Hi Weston,

It would be great if the external video functionality is available, manual or otherwise. The single video file limitation is fine, can use GoPro Studio to aggregate the video files.

Potential Tuner
    Would be great if you could also provide the VBO from racerender. While the analysis may be limited...it is way better for people that just have a gopro instead of a data logger. In my racing division datalogers are illegal...go pro's are not.