Thread: 2015 A8 Torque Management

2015 A8 Torque Management

Id anyone familiar with the torque management settings on the new A8 trans. I'm not 100 percent sure what does what. I just want to remove as much as I can. So far I've maxed out the trq adapts, zero'd out the shift trqred, and maxed brake on and off trq. Anything else I should be looking at? Does it make sense to disable all the auto trans management, thanks!

Capture.PNG

So nobody has tuned or played around with the torque management on the A8 yet?

Senior Tuner
    None of these will have much effect, until you start to have 8 speed trans control via the TCM, all you really have to play with are mostly traction control type torque management, nothing to do with how the actual transmission shifts etc.

If you look, you are only given options to disable the motor from cutting spark, fuel, or throttle when there is a torque management request made either by the TCM or PCM. not much different than turning off traction control.

I maxed out the torque adapts and set shift trqred to all zeros. It does shift a little faster and harder then the stock tune thats for sure. Wasn't sure if I was messing something though. The one complain I have about the 8 speed now and the neural network off the trans seems to shift a lot earlier when cruising places I would normally be in 4th its in the 5th and places I'm normally at 5th is now 6th but the car is running way better then it ever did on diablo sport and a custom tune.

Senior Tuner
    shifting earlier could be a simple function of cooler weather and cooler trans temps. Where are you located?

I'm in Kansas and its still in the 70's 80's. It's not a big deal its more annoying because of the rpms it puts the car in. I do notice untill the temps get of the 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th is not very fast either almost like its slipping but goes away once the trans temps go up. Not a hole lot I can do about unless I retune with the nn on I guess or hp tuners adds more definitions.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune so we can see what you have done.
    As there isn't tuning for the 8sp yet, you have to work with what is already programmed in the TCM.
    Luckily, it is pretty good for the most part and it doesn't care if NN is on or off.
    Trans doesn't seem to like maxing the torque adapts or zeroing the tq shift red, keep these close to stock.
    The shifting is based off road speed/pedal position not TB position, so when you jack up the throttle request tables etc, you add power for same pedal position. So to go same speed/accel you use less pedal and...guess what, it shifts earlier.
    Diablo's throttle boost feature does exactly this
    Takes a bit of time especially if you add lotsa torque with a blower, but by juggling the airflow and throttle tables, it can be made to shift/drive awesome.
    Last edited by Hemituna; 10-14-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Here is my current work in progress tune. The torque management stuff I did I got from another tune from a reputable diablo sport tuner and seemed to work good on my ds tune but I don't really know if its helpfull or not. I'm open to any suggestions though.
    Justin A8 rev4 test spark +30% cold start.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post
    Post your tune so we can see what you have done.
    As there isn't tuning for the 8sp yet, you have to work with what is already programmed in the TCM.
    Luckily, it is pretty good for the most part and it doesn't care if NN is on or off.
    Trans doesn't seem to like maxing the torque adapts or zeroing the tq shift red, keep these close to stock.
    The shifting is based off road speed/pedal position not TB position, so when you jack up the throttle request tables etc, you add power for same pedal position. So to go same speed/accel you use less pedal and...guess what, it shifts earlier.
    Diablo's throttle boost feature does exactly this
    Takes a bit of time especially if you add lotsa torque with a blower, but by juggling the airflow and throttle tables, it can be made to shift/drive awesome.
    So how do I go about getting it to shift later then when cruising. Like for instance this morning it wen't clear in to 6th going 25 give it more pedal and it dropped back down into 5th but normally it would be in 4th if I loaded my stock tune with the nn still on.

Lowered all my torque adapts from +-966 to +- 944 and set shift trqred back to stock and cruising shifts cleaned up a lot. Still shifts early some times like its confused then goes back another gear but it also did that on the stock tune too every once in awhile.

Advanced Tuner
    If you want it to shift later, turn down your throttle table after .25v by 5 - 10%
    Most tuners jack it up say 10%....but then trans shifts earlier.
    Turn it down 10%, it shifts later and kicks down gear earlier.
    The pedal will feel lazy tho as it is commanding less throttle for same pedal.
    Most like a more responsive pedal but don't realise the effect on the trans.