Thread: 5r110w Rough 3 to 5 / TCC Lock to Lock Shift

Tuner in Training

5r110w Rough 3 to 5 / TCC Lock to Lock Shift

2005 Ford F250 6.0 Powerstroke

I'm experiencing a rough 3 to 5 shift with my TCC Locked up. It shifts abruptly and makes the truck shudder.
    Changing TPS Tip-Out High to a positive number like 512 or 1000 makes it shift quick and smooth, but while cruising on the highway, any throttle tip in causes the TCC to slip or briefly unlock causing 150-200 RPM blips. Changine from -512 to -100 seems to have made the shift marginally lighter but it's still harsh. Any less and it causes the TCC to slip as mentioned. Heavier thottle produces a little better shift quality than light. My Downshift is very smooth under heavy or light throttle.
    Loving the way the truck rolls now at the very least. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Link to my latest Calibration File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...jZRNXpSMDhZbzQ
    Last edited by Bocephus; 09-24-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to post my tune

Tuner in Training
    If you don't mind me asking how are you getting trans to lock out in 3rd?

Tuner in Training
    Tried to take a screenshot to show you the options i have, but tablet keyboard wont let me. My brother's 2004 F350 only gives me the options of 4 to 6 TCC Lock,which leads me to ask the year of your truck?
    Maybeit just isn defined in your strategy yet and an email to support will fix it. The locked gears makes it drive like a whole new truck.
    Last edited by Bocephus; 10-01-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Well mine is kind of tricky. I have a common rail cummins in my 05 F250 in place of my 6.0 and I'm using my factory TCM to control trans. Its working excellent but I cant get it to lock out early in 3rd like I want. Locks out fine in 5th still

Tuner in Training
    I'm think my problem is in my tip-in for TCC release. Are you familiar with those 5 different tables under TCC release? I tried your trans setup on my truck and it worked great except for not locking out in 3rd. If I used very light throttle it would lock out in 3rd. Yes your right, I love when converter locks out early. I've had several 6.4s that locked out in 3rd and even a track file that locked in 2nd
    Last edited by Hurricaneoffroad; 10-01-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Tuner in Training
    It appears I still had TPS Tip out High set too low and needs bumping back up to stock or similar. I put it back at -500 and tweaked Lock to Lock pressures to get my desirable low speed/torque shift feel. The other TPS Tip settings need to be high to hold Lock

Tuner in Training
    Ok I figured out my problem. The shift points were all running together. Thanks for help and your right it feel like new truck when locking out. The factory 6.0 converter is actually a little too loose for the 5.9 cummins. So locking out in 3rd really made the difference.

Tuner in Training
    That's good to hear! Still trying to dial in the shift firmness for 3-5 under light throttle, but I've smoothed out a good bit already.

Tuner in Training
    Have you adjusted your clutch fill rate?

Tuner in Training
    Not yet since I haven't found any literature explaining the effects yet, and every file I've found so far is the same as stock. I'm piggy-backing off a file that has shift pressures increased already, but it acted the same on my stock calibration.