Thread: Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostics protocol

Potential Tuner

Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostics protocol

Hey guys! This is my First Post! I need some help, every time I go to write calibration it always fails saying controller unlocker timed out. When I go to vcm suit info, it says Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostics protocol at the bottom. Any Ideas?

What kind of vehicle?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    2004 monte carlo SS 3.8 v6 l67 with a borg warner S256 ET turbo

Do you have the most up to date 3.2 software installed?

Does the vehicle has an aftermarket radio deck in it?

I'd try pulling the radio fuse and see if it will work better.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Ill try pulling the radio fuse. And the radio is stock. Also, how do i check to see if it is the 3.2.version?

Just open the editor and click the blue information dot, it'll open a screen and again click the info dot and it will tell you what version of the editor you are using.

Potential Tuner
    Alright thanks man! Ill give it a try and ill let you know shortly what happens����

Potential Tuner
    Still the same thing happening.

Email support then.

Include all infomation you think they'd need, maybe an info log, screen shots.

Make sure the scanner is off with no logs open before trying to write.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having a similar situation, except when I go to open the editor and go to flash then read vehicle it says detect protocol fail. it wont go past that screen. I was in the editor the night before and had no issues same car 2008 suburban). Tried this on my other car(2000 Camaro ss) I'm tunning also and same thing. the scanner works just fine I just cannot open the editor. Anyone have any thoughts. version 3.0

Potential Tuner
    I had exact same issue on my vehicle (controller unlocker timed out) when I tried to do a write calibration only after updating to 3.2 from 2.24.xx. Left it for a few hours, went back and tried to do a write calibration only exactly the same as before and it worked! Then tried to do another write calibration to a different vehicle (same deal, was a 2.24.xxx tune file then has been modified with 3.2 software and was attempting to reflash) and got the same 'controller unlocker' message no matter what I tried. Reflashed my own car again (just to check) and it worked. Tried the other vehicle straight after and no luck. Was just on here seeing if others had the same issue. Wonder what I did the 2nd time on my own vehicle to make it start working?

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I had exact same issue on my vehicle (controller unlocker timed out) when I tried to do a write calibration only after updating to 3.2 from 2.24.xx. Left it for a few hours, went back and tried to do a write calibration only exactly the same as before and it worked! Then tried to do another write calibration to a different vehicle (same deal, was a 2.24.xxx tune file then has been modified with 3.2 software and was attempting to reflash) and got the same 'controller unlocker' message no matter what I tried. Reflashed my own car again (just to check) and it worked. Tried the other vehicle straight after and no luck. Was just on here seeing if others had the same issue. Wonder what I did the 2nd time on my own vehicle to make it start working?
    Are you doing a "Write Entire" or "Write Calibration"...?

Potential Tuner
    At first I hit "Write Entire" then I got the Controller Unlocker Timed out error. Then I unplugged everything and tried again but with Write calibration. Of course same controller unlocker timed out error thing. So I go inside for the night then in the morning came out side to see if my car would start. Well, I tried using my key fob but it was not oddly not working so I use they key to unlock my door, I opened the door and no interior lights came on. At this point I thought for sure I fried my PCM. So with little hope, I turned the ignition to the run position, all I got was a very dim Check engine Light. At this point Im on the verge of crawling into a ball about to cry(not really but you know that awful feeling) So I threw the battery charger on for 10 amps for 4 hours. 4 hours later I go out side and try to unlock my car with the key fob, and IT WORKED! I open the door and everything seems normal again, interior lights come on and everything that should turn on does. So at this point I have my hopes up. I turn the key to start the car, I get a very slow cranking speed but it fires up. It ran like crap because of the 80lbs Injectors I installed that the pcm wasnt tuned for. Hence the reason why I tried to load the 80lb Injectors to my PCM in the first place. So I try to load the tune again, still the same controller unlocker error. so I unplug everything again and i Disconnect the battery, and let the battery stay disconnected for 15 Min. so i connect them and the car is like normal again. So after doing this countless times I disconnected the radio fuse and still no luck. So I send my pcm to ZZP to have the 80lbs injectors installed on the PCM, and they had no problem writing to the PCM. so my car runs fine now but it stinks that I cant tune my car my self.

Did you ever email the issue to support and what did they say?

Alot of the time they can help you with problems.

Potential Tuner
    IMG_3383.jpg
    This is the problem I'm having Everytime I write to the computer.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I suggest doing what others have already suggested and contact support at hptuners.com
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"