Thread: Charging Computer While using HPTuners MVPI Interface

Charging Computer While using HPTuners MVPI Interface

Why is the warranty voided if you use an inverter? How is using an inverter any different than connecting a laptop to the AC adapter that's plugged in to the grid? Laptop USB 2.0 ports only output 5V at 500Mah, and should never deviate from that unless its broken, the power explicitly specified by the USB specification. I could understand it being an issue with the old serial interfaces but the new USB interfaces should not have that problem because of the USB specification.

I have purchased a small windows tablet that I plan on using to data log and to flash tunes with. Link below.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Jumpe...ck-365510.html

That charges via USB (5V 2A), just like a cell phone or android tablet/iPad. If I use that tablet, connected to my MVPI interface that's plugged in to a car cell phone cigarette lighter charger will that void my warranty?

And on that note, where is the warranty information? I cant seem to find any info on the warranty (is there a warranty)?

Thanks!

The problem relates to the fact that the MPVI draws power from the vehicle battery via the OBD2 port (or the laptop if not plugged into the vehicle). Cheap switched mode inverters with poor isolation can create a large ground loop that flows thru the OBD2 port, the MPVI and the USB cable and burn the protection IC. It's hard to know what a "good quality" inverter is thesedays unfortunately hence our position on all inverters.
    I count sheep in hex...

Thanks for the explanation. I didnt realize that the MVPI drew power from the ODB2 port.

In my case, if I use that tablet and a cell phone charger will I run in to any issues? Its technically all DC to DC so there should not be any ground loops or interference.

Where is the information on the warranty as well?

Worked fine for a few months on mine until I burned up a chip in the interface. HPT fixed it but I still wouldn't recommend it either.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner
    On the surface, it appears that this rule/recommendation only applies to charging the laptop by using an inverter plugged into the cars electrical system. Does this "Don't do it!" also apply to having the laptop plugged into a wall-outlet, or is that perfectly fine?
    2007 Z06 (E38 ECM), stock LS7 short block, .030" milled/ported heads, PLX SM-AFR, MPVI Pro

You can charge the laptop via a regular wall outlet no problem

Potential Tuner
    You can PROBABLY (grain of salt time) use a boost converter (opposite of a voltage buck) to go from 12v to your needed voltage. Or your laptop oem might have a car charger accessory. The ground plane is all the same with no loop or floating ground issues.

This is in no way official information from HPT, so pretend you didnt read that :P