Thread: 5.3 4l60 replacing 6.0 4l80.... help?

Potential Tuner

5.3 4l60 replacing 6.0 4l80.... help?

I've wanted HP tuners for quite some time, finally got a reason to purchase it. In my day job as a mechanic, we are swapping a drivetrain (2005 5.3 4l60) from a rolled vehicle into a good body with a bad drivetrain (1999 6.0 4l80). I swapped intakes so the 5.3 has the 6.0 injectors, which should be the same as the 5.3 injectors in 1999. I swapped the PRND switch, and am swapping input shafts on the transfer case since the transfer case motors won't swap. However, I'm curious what I should do as far as the computer side of things (first time user).

I re-pinned the transmissions so the 4l60 is wired into the original (4l80) computer the correct way. I need to flash the computer with a tune that is for a 4l60 so it puts out the signals to the correct wires.

I also need to have the correct tables for the 5.3 engine

If I get a 5.3 stock tune from the repository, can I just write it onto the original 6.0 computer? Will that fix all my transmission problems and engine problems?

Or....do I just modify the 6.0 computers files by using a stock tune from the repository with the compare feature? Copy and paste? Not sure how this would help my 4l80 problem, but I don't know.

I searched quite a bit on different things, but I am just not sure how to go about this and I don't want to make a mistake and have to purchase access to 2 vehicles.

An option is to take the 6.0 computer you already have and just copy over the 5.3 engine side tables that you will need for the 5.3. Like MAF, VE, timing tables etc.

Then hopefully you could use the segment swap feature and swap over a 4L60e transmission side tables to the 6.0 computer. Not all OS's have this option though, 99 may be an odd ball but it's hard to say.

Plan B or C could be to take your stock 6.0 computer and have it flashed with like a TECH 2 to a 5.3 OS from say 01-02 (the 01+ are better as far as tuning goes and more tables), then you could plug in your 6.0 injector information and be pretty well set.

Maybe others will give their opinion too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you couldn't flash different operating systems onto computers? Or does it just have to be the same hardware (ie part number)? I'm new and have been reading a lot on the help files and the forum in general, so I'm just making sure.

Potential Tuner
    Also, could I segment swap both the engine and transmission?

Potential Tuner
    Found the same operating system that had a 5.3/4l60e combo, segment swapped both and works great! My very first "tune" was a success!