Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LSA Supercharger on LS1 - How am I doing?

Tuner in Training

LSA Supercharger on LS1 - How am I doing?

ADDED NEW FILES - MORE RECENT

Issues:

Knock during neutral revving and fast throttle transitions
    Experiencing lean tip ins when warming up (after 30 mins or so, lean tip ins are not an issue).

I have been trying different things so the VE is still a bit odd, but much better since fuel pump issue was resolved.

I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to look over my "tune" (not on a dyno). Or, hopefully someone else has done this swap and tuned it up very nice like!

I have been cruising the HP Tuner forum and absorbing as much as I could, and have arrived where I am now.

The vehicle drives pretty well once up to temp. Plenty of room for improvement.
    I have attached a recent drive log and the tune that it was running during that log (still in progress).

2000 LS1 engine, stock from the heads down, including exhaust manifolds. 2.5" duals, no cats.
    6 speed manual, 4.10 gears.
    2013 LSA blower with ZL1 lid, stock pulleys, running AFCO heat exchanger, 92mm DBC throttle.
    3bar SD OS, stock LSA GM 52.4# injectors. Boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.

3_BAR 9-17-2016 023.hpt
    9-17-2016 Tune 022 Log 002.hpl

IMG_20160908_200313971_25.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zbls2121; 10-18-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Updated

MAF dtc's should be set to first error when MAF is removed from the vehicle.

Seems odd that your commanded eq raito is just bouncing all over the place under normal throttle conditions, like you aren't even in boost it's changing way more than it should in my eyes. The VE table is rather funky looking still, could be from not being completely in speed density when you are tuning your VE with your error.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Hmmm. The MAF dtc's matter when using the HPTuners custom 3bar OS?

Command EQ appears pretty smooth on my logger. My widebands report back with more "noise".

eq.GIF

Yeah it still matters, just a simple change.

What I mean is that the commanded afr or in your case eq ratio still just be staying at stoich (14.68 E0) or at 1.00 eq ratio when you aren't in PE. It seems that it's always commanding a richer afr at random when you are just driving around.

A closer look tells me that your open loop Eq ratio is the reason behind it. Depending on your MAP kpa it's going richer based on what the MAP is reading. Me personally I'd change it to be 1.00 all the time in open loop once the temp is over 170 degree's.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 09-17-2016 at 10:56 PM.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ah, I understand what you are saying now. What is the benefit to removing the GM established desired EQ and flattening it out to stoich during operating temperatures?

Thank you for looking at my tune/log by the way!

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    SD setup for ya
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Sultan, thanks for the tune file. Loaded it up but the VE table was just too far off (didn't want to start that all over just yet). So I went back to my table in the tune you provided. Made some VE tweaking and made a 4th gear run. Unfortunately, my IDC was 101% and could not keep my Lambda at .8 (11.8 AFR) so it would appear my fuel pump is on its way out. I will update when I replace the pump.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    check if your fuel pressure is dropping too much, as the LSA injectors are setup for WOT targeting 65psi
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Well, I should have done some diagnosis first instead of throwing a fuel pump at it. Swapped out my walbro 255lph and dropped in the Aeromotive 340lph. Get everything going and made another 4th gear WOT pull. Targeted .8, read about .75 with 100% injector duty cycle. Next step is a fuel pressure transducer via the EGR wiring. I may be having a restriction issue. Or possibly an electrical fuel pump circuit voltage drop. I will report back when that is figured out (or if I can't! haha).

Try moving your target to 0.85 and then adjust your VE so your actual matches your target. There isn't any reason to run it so rich at 0.8. Might find your injector duty cycle is a little under 100% running in the mid 12's AFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy406 View Post
    Try moving your target to 0.85 and then adjust your VE so your actual matches your target. There isn't any reason to run it so rich at 0.8. Might find your injector duty cycle is a little under 100% running in the mid 12's AFR.
    I wouldn't want to run mid 12's under boost on a LS1.

I should have asked about his combination before making a recommendation. Certainly does depend on how much cylinder pressure he is dealing with. But his 0.75 lamba fuel ratio is overly rich and putting a strain on the fuel delivery system.

Tuner in Training
    No worries, I figured that you may have thought I was running a combination meant for boost, not the stock LS1 long block (minus valve springs/retainers)... Haha.

Anyway, pulling in the lambda closer to .8 has reduced IDC some (still around 99-100% peak), as it should. I am still awaiting the transducer to log fuel pressure. Peak boost I have seen is 169kPa (10psi). No idea on mass air as the PCM maxes out at 512g/s. I do hate that speed density and heat soak do not go hand in hand; however, I am feeling more confident in my VE tune and transient fueling as well as spark as the tune progresses. I will be more inclined to call it "done" once I have a full answer on IDC.

The idea behind my path was to get a good (read safe more than good) base tune on the stock bottom end before investing in a forged setup.

Tuner in Training
    Fuel pressure transducer arrived, got it installed and did a nice log session. I found my base pressure was about 3-4PSI low, I can't say I am too surprised that my mechanical gauge is off... it has been through some rough times.

In addition I have a fuel restriction, lower RPM/higher boost regions the fuel pressure tracks decent, at higher RPM/boost regions the fuel pressure drops significantly, at 171kPa (10.2#s) 5700RPM it dropped as low as 45PSI. Fuel filter is my guess.

I should also add, this was at .81 actual lambda during .80 commanded.
    Last edited by zbls2121; 10-08-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    What did you use for a fuel pressure transducer? Do you have a part number?
    I build stuff...

Tuner in Training

xdcr

Quote Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
    What did you use for a fuel pressure transducer? Do you have a part number?
    I used a cheapie eBay item. 100psi, 5VDC, 1.5% acc transducer. Don't expect it to be research or calibration quality (its $20 shipped). But it showed me exactly what I needed to know.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. The "research" I'm doing is in my own home shop on my own projects. I want something I can log with HPT and this looks like it will do what I need. For me it's like your situation simply a temporary testing tool to determine a potential fuel delivery issue in a swap. I have a mechanical gauge for the fuel rail, but I can't see it while driving and I can't data log it either.

How did you connect it to your fuel system? I didn't see a fitting that will attach to the fuel rail.
    I build stuff...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
    How did you connect it to your fuel system? I didn't see a fitting that will attach to the fuel rail.
    Yup, its a good tool like that. For attachment to fuel rails there are fuel rail schrader valve to 1/8"NPT adapters out there, Summit, eBay etc. You can put the xdcr directly into that adapter or make a hose for fitment issues. Just remove the schrader valve (same as a tire valve).

I could not fit that adapter and the xdcr with wiring under my hood on the LSA fuel rail as it points mostly up. My bypass pressure regulator has a 1/8"NPT port right on it. I just put a tee in with my mech gauge and the xdcr.

Since I don't have EGR anymore I just used the +5VDC, sens and -5VDC from the EGR to power and read the xdcr. Made a math function in VCM scanner and did a quick zero offset and it logs in PSI (or whatever unit you choose to scale it at).
    If your PCM didn't originally have EGR you can use the A/C refrigerant pressure sensor in the same manner.

Of course if you have the HPTuner Pro you can input the sensor right into the HPtuner hardware and buy the 12vdc powered xdcr if you like and wire it all up.

Advanced Tuner
    Cool, thanks a ton.

I'm already logging oil pressure through the PCM and I planned to do the same with this sensor for fuel.
    Good point about the overall height, I didn't think about that. I may need to come up with a temporary Tee just for fuel pressure measurement purposes.
    I build stuff...

Man I am stuck on stock 2000 ls1 from the heads down. The lsa blower was rectangle port for the ls3/ls7 style heads. LS1,2, and 6 used cathedral port heads. How did you resolve this mismatch?