Thread: downshifting more often

Advanced Tuner

downshifting more often

Which way do I need to move my shift tables to get the truck to downshift more often. Like when I am cruising at 30-50 or so and I punch it, only the converter will unlock, it wont downshift to give me that extra punch I need. It's almost like it is a deadspot.

Chris
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

You can raise the wot downshift speeds and the part throttle downshift speeds.
    Also you can raise the wot upshift speeds and the part throttle upshift speeds.
    I like to have the 100% tps column of the part throttle shift speed table match the wot shift speed table. The down shift speeds must always be lower than the up shift speeds. Make the changes to both the normal and performance (tow/haul) tables.

Russ Kemp

Senior Tuner
    What you want is a pedal-proportional kickdown
    profile.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks alot guys, I will post my tune up later to let you guys check it out if you will, I adjusted the upshift and downshift shiftpoints till they felt right, then adjusted the TCC to lay over these, truck feels alot more responsive!

Chris

Tuner in Training

Need help as well

Chris,

I spoke with you recently about my 02 injectors. I too am in the need for better downshifts.

My tranny was recently rebuilt as well with transgo shift kit and a trailblazer torque converter. Any advice or sample files you could provide would be appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah man I am working on something right now, i got the downshifts better most of the time, i'm working on WOT right now. I will PM you when i get them done and let you try one.

Chris

Tuner in Training

Thanks

As always, thanks for the info and quick response.

Tuner in Training

Chris, how is the tranny tune going

You were updating your upshift/downshift shift points..

How is it going
    ?

Advanced Tuner
    haha awesome, old thread dug up! I got them down pretty good. The truck will now downshift whenever it possibly can. Which now I get the revs I need whenever I command most of the time. There are just a very few spots where it wont downshift, but the truck still has a lot of pull in those areas.

What I did was go back to my upshift points before the stall, I didnt touch those. Then I took the downshift points that I had before and just raised them to where they were only a few mph lower than the upshift point. They got further apart in each gear and as the rpms went up, but they are pretty aggressive. If you wanna look at them let me know. My stall just wouldnt act right without me being pretty aggressive with the downshift points, it likes the basically stock upshift points but you really have to raise the downshifts.

Tuner in Training

Yes Chris, I would like to see what you have done.

Thanks again.

Brian

Advanced Tuner
    Here you go, let me know what you think on it!