Thread: SD VE Tuning AFR always rich

Tuner in Training

SD VE Tuning AFR always rich

Trying to dial in my VE table, and after a few copy and pastes it improved a lot. Then it got to a point when it gets worse after I try to paste the new info. It's choppy, but the thing I am most puzzled by is why is it so rich after each time. Am I not doing it enough? I have tried by half also. Any advice?
    Chevelle.Layout.xmlfinallog1.hplFinal3leaner4.hpt

Are you using a 3.3 duramax MAP sensor?

I've read of a few people have problems with those, most switch back to a regular 3 bar MAP. And you should use the MAP sensor size your tune is setup for. So like 2 bar with 2 bar OS and 3 for 3 BAR to keep it straight forward with no issues.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Yes I have the correct MAP sensor. It seems to read the AFR error great, but I don't know why I can't lean out the tune by copying and pasting the error.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like you know already, but if the error is under 10% then do a paste special - multiply by % half type of add. Also, once it gets to a couple of percent, I found then even 50% would overshoot sometimes, I ended up copying across only the cells with the larger errors, and leaving the ones with under, say, 1%.

Also, you need a fair bit of data, and the closer it gets, the more important to get a good sample, somewhere between 20 to 60 hits in a cell is what most people seem to say. Don't copy cells with 5 hits...
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    make sure your injector data is correct and that the method is enabled properly
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Should I be smoothing everytime? It seems like I keep logging and pasting and it never leans out. Sometimes it even runs worse. My injector data is correct. The copy and paste worked wonders at first, but now I can't get anywhere. The thing runs good and makes power, it's just rich.

that MAP sensor settings seems wrong, which one you have installed?

Advanced Tuner
    I don't smooth it every time, but only at the end, but I suspect it's a personal choice & others do it differently. I also often don't smooth it all, but only the areas that look peaky/wrong...
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

Tuner in Training
    I had a tuneing shop that specializes in LS help set me up with the correct map and tune it for wot to get me started. What looks wrong to you? It runs good and makes nice clean pulls on the dyno, just trying to clean it up a little.

Tuner in Training
    Maybe I should tell you it's a 406 Dart with AFR heads, Holley Stealth Ram intake, and twin turbos. It moves a lot of air!

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    that MAP sensor settings seems wrong, which one you have installed?
    The MAP is right for a 3.3 bar map but it seems many have problems with them. I'd only use a regular 3 bar map sensor. They seem to have a problem with making the engine run rich below like 90kpa.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 09-19-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, what part number do you recommend? Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Also, how can you tell it's a 3.3 bar map, is there something in the log that gives it away? I guess I will order the one that EFI connection recommends. Maybe just a 2 bar would be fine since that is what my tune is.

Tuner in Training
    Ok I see you saw it in my tune? If I go back to a 2 bar MAP what should I enter for values?

^ it does not matter what operating system you choose to tune that will give you resolution of 1/2/3 bar

you must have the map sensor scale correct regardless of what operating system even on stock

Tuner in Training
    So I will go back to a GM 2 bar map sensor and change settings back to 200/10.33. Is there anything else I am missing? Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Seems to be responding well now. Hopefully getting my VE table better will help it run in closed loop. Right now the fueling goes all weird when I enable it.