Thread: Help with tune and knock retard

Tuner in Training

Help with tune and knock retard

I have a 01 sierra 5.3 with a 4l60. The only mods are a modified stock airbox with the bottom opened up and a corvette servo. I failed my maf and tuned my ltft and removed torque management. I am still having some knock retard in the 2800-3800rpm range and some other random ranges. I haven't messed with the timing tables and I run 89. I've attached my current tune and my most recent logs, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Random knock events are low load cruising speeds aren't really an issue, sure it can be annoying to see what they are causing no harm. I've seen old knock sensors cause issues before, like if moisture/water got into the knock sensor holes they will cause corrosion on the base of the sensor and that's not good.

Under WOT, you need to address your fuel trims. They go very high between +11-12.5 under heavy load. I'd invest in a wideband so you can truely tune WOT fueling. You can also re-tune your VE and MAF curve with the wideband to further dial in those tables to correct for the issue.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    When I tuned my ve I had them all dialed in until I put my maf back in the tune. They have slowly crept up ever since. When I don't get into pe my ltfts are pretty consistently below 5. I know that I'm not supposed to tune pe without a wideband. I didn't add a little fuel to the pe table from 3000-6000 and it alleviated a ping I had at 4K. I'll post a older log that I ran before messing with the pe table. Can y'all tell from my logs if my histograms are setup correctly?

Tuner in Training
    Here is a log before messing with my ve and pe table

Tuner in Training
    Here is my latest log with the maf failed. This is the drive to work this morning and the maf and ltft has been learning for about 80 miles and about 1.5hr total.

Tuner in Training
    If y'all look at my latest log. Why are a lot of my ltft adding fuel, but when I look at my stft they are in the negatives?

The last log looks normal to me, your LTFT was within 5% of zero pretty much all the time during normal throttle conidtions.

STFT are split second changes being made, you'd rather have it pulling a very small amount of fuel than having to add it all the time. Though it normal for them to swing a postive and negative a little bit because it's making corrections super fast.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    So I'm assuming you would consider the lower end of my ve table good? I've got a wideband coming to address the upper end

Tuner in Training
    What's the deal with the timing tables on the 5.3? If you look at both the low octane and the high octane, they both have some negative values. When compared to a few other timing tables like a stock ls1 which I know is totally different, but the ones I've looked at have no negative values.

Mainly because there is no way the engine would ever see over .50 of cylinder airmass at 400-1000rpm. So it doesn't matter if there are negative numbers.

Tuner in Training
    Gotcha. i appreciate the help