Thread: 03 6.0 swap pedal is not linear

Tuner in Training

03 6.0 swap pedal is not linear

Hi everyone, first time touching anything but VATS. I have pro.

03 Denali 6.0 installed in a monte with trans turned off.

Just got the car to run the other night, the car has a ls9 cam but otherwise stock. When I rev the car, it has missing spots in the pedal i.e - push a little, it revs up. push a little more, nothing, push more, revs higher.

The TAC module is not original to the ecu / engine / harness. Is there some sort of adaptation I need to do?

If I remember right in the 90s GM checked pedal position every time you started the engine and worked off of that supposedly closed throttle reading. One of the reasons that people who are too used to giving gas during the start have starting problems. I am not sure if they continued this logic into the 2000s and TAC era but I don't think it needs the kind of adaption like Nissans and VWs need after a battery replacement or throttle body clean.

We probably need to confirm if the TAC module is appropriate to your operating system. Maybe it is but will only work well with some adjustments to your tune. A lot of the guys on here know the different throttle body options for the LS series and can tell you exactly what adjustments to make. Please give details about the parts (pedal, TAC, OS, etc) you went with.

Tuner in Training
    The pedal is from the 03 Denail that the ecu and the harness came from. It has been adapted to work in Monte carlo.

TAC module is 12573059 also, 205-009191 (TDM1-160A1)

It does not throw a code for TAC module when scanned

Reading here http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...lverado-2.html

It says the TB, ECU, and TAC module must all be from the same type of vehicle (which they are)

Yeah. That should work fine. I wonder if you have a code that is causing reduced power mode. Can you scan it for codes? Even better if you can record a log of the event you are referring to and attach it.

Tuner in Training
    I will scan it- I know it was getting a crank position code, which also needs to be explored as well as a bunch of B.S Evap codes that I have to uncheck.

Crank position code? Did you do crank position relearn? From memory I think it goes something like:
    1. Get the engine up to operating temp
    2. Set the e-brake
    3. Hold the brake (don't let off)
    4. Using the scanner go to "vehicles controls and special functions" on the top/left
    5. If I remember right under special functions is crank position relearn
    6. When it tells you to smoothly give it full throttle until it cuts you off or it becomes obvious that it is not going to cut you offff or you can see parts of the engine flying around Sometimes if one of the steps is not met it won't go into the relearn mode and the computer won't cut you off at the predetermined time to it is good so let off the throttle before the banging starts

That should take care of the crank relearn. Evap codes should not put you in a reduced power mode. It is possible that there is a code related to the TB or something that is cutting you off.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! Ill try that later on

Tuner in Training
    So, We believe we found out what was done wrong with the cam issue. The LS9 cam has the cam sensor at the front of the cam, like LS2. This engine is still setup for the sensor at the rear.

Until we fix the front cover issue, Im not going to try and bother to troubleshoot the pedal issue as I believe they are related.

Yeah, the issues probably are related. Well I look forward to hearing back when you work it out. Good luck

Tuner in Training
    Bringing this back up top. The new cover and sensor have been installed.

The gas pedal is still behaving like it is missing spots. Meaning, step gently on the gas pedal (DBW) and it revs and behaves like it is cutting the ignition out. then, it comes right back

Is there a relearn that needs to be done here?

You need to use a compatible TAC/Pedal/TB combo to work without problems. Mixing components only causes problems.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Using the pedal, harness and ecu from the same car. Have tried three TAC modules and it has not helped yet. They have all been from the same type of vehicle. (Silverado, Escalade, Yukon)

The original TAC module was scrapped with donor

By the part numbers (and since they all came from the same type of vehicle) I think we confirmed the compatibility of the throttle related components.

About the front cover cam sensor GEN4 compared to the factory rear cam sensor GEN3...Which upper cam gear did you use? Since you reused the truck computer/OS I think you need to use an upper cam gear from an 05-06 GTO. It has the correct 3-bolt set-up and 1x design for you OS.

Good article:
    http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...s2-cam-sensor/

Tuner in Training
    Thanks IARLLC,

The cam gear used is 12576407
    There is a tan sensor plugged into it. Looking for the part number on that
    Last edited by onlyn8v; 09-29-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Yep. That is the correct gear.

Now I am really getting curious. It still sounds to me like it is in "reduced power mode". Have you gotten rid of the evap codes and sorted through the rest to see if there are any related codes?

What about failing the MAF to see if it revs normally? I am expecting that your cam will take a bit of VE and MAF tuning but of course you've got to work out this kink first. All of the issues I keep thinking of would give you codes... It might help to log all of the PPS and TPS related data and attach the log so that we can see what is being commanded. It might become very clear...I hope

As asked earlier,is the T/B from the same year/model as the pedal.TAC?

Tuner in Training
    Ok guys update:

Last night I removed "abuse mode" and it allowed it to rev!

Now, I have to learn how to tune so I can actually correct some things.

That is some good news.

Are you using it with the original transmission? If you are using a different trans without the same P/N switch maybe it thinks that you are in gear when you are in Park or Neutral...so it won't allow it to rev. It may also give a hanging idle if it does not use the original speed sensor. The experts on here will help sort it all out.

Tuner in Training
    It is being used with a 2004r so all the auto trans stuff is now turned off, as is EGR and secondary 02