Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truck surging in upper 3rd gear

Tuner
    Well the log is going to have to wait... Cracked the intercooler today getting on the highway to come home from work. Shitty plastic sides on the 05s.
    2005 Dodge 2500
    80% over injectors, 5" turbo back exhaust, HP Tuners, ARP head studs.
    Intake, Tater Built Turbo 67/67, Fleece 750 Powerflow CP3.
    2.5" front lvl kit, 35's on Soto 20x10s

Tuner
    doh. rail pressure from hell
    2005 Cummins 325/600 G56 3.73
    Reving to 4800
    Worked Head, Twin Disc, BBI

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamofo View Post
    doh. rail pressure from hell
    oh man that bad hu? i was trying to just smooth it and not raise it tell i got the issues fixed making sure it wasnt my injection pump screwing me.
    2005 Dodge 2500

Tuner
    new tune and log. Got to 3100 RPM or so now before surging starts but still having it. Used a Quadzilla boost fooler and no more surging. bought an ats one and no such luck with that one. so i know its in the tuning some where just not sure where.Power 1.hpt1.3 log 1.hpl
    2005 Dodge 2500

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ2000 View Post
    new tune and log. Got to 3100 RPM or so now before surging starts but still having it. Used a Quadzilla boost fooler and no more surging. bought an ats one and no such luck with that one. so i know its in the tuning some where just not sure where.Power 1.hpt1.3 log 1.hpl
    I see you still haven't addressed the Low, Med-Lo, Med-Hi, and High Air Density tables. You do need to adjust those to correspond to your transient tables. Otherwise, as the ECU transitions from transient to steady state (and depending on which Air Density is selected in the ECU), the commanded timing and pressure values are drastically different from transient to steady state. If you were to log pilot/main/post timing and rail pressure command, you would probably see that even at near constant commanded fuel, timing as well as fuel pressure values would be all over the place when switching between transient and steady state conditions.

That's not to say with 100% certainty that this is your surging issue (since I'm not sure if the truck switches from transient to steady-state tables during a Full Fueling run). But it still needs to be addressed and ironed out.

Aside from that, I would also raise the Main Injection Limits under Engine Speed (RPM Limit) just to make sure that limiter table isn't messing with your final fuel delivery. Also, your Boost Limit A table could use some massaging around the 3250 to 3800 RPM breakpoint so that there's not a sudden drop in the fueling limit with varying boost pressure.

Another thing to try out (and I would suggest doing all these things in separate stages to see what effect each change has on how the truck responds) would be to disable the General Limit C. Just another thing done on my truck, and I don't ever experience surging issues.

Also, add Fuel Pressure Desired to your log so you can see if actual is keeping up with desired.
    Last edited by B00STJUNKY; 01-20-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    I see you still haven't addressed the Low, Med-Lo, Med-Hi, and High Air Density tables. You do need to adjust those to correspond to your transient tables. Otherwise, as the ECU transitions from transient to steady state (and depending on which Air Density is selected in the ECU), the commanded timing and pressure values are drastically different from transient to steady state. If you were to log pilot/main/post timing and rail pressure command, you would probably see that even at near constant commanded fuel, timing as well as fuel pressure values would be all over the place when switching between transient and steady state conditions.

That's not to say with 100% certainty that this is your surging issue (since I'm not sure if the truck switches from transient to steady-state tables during a Full Fueling run). But it still needs to be addressed and ironed out.

Aside from that, I would also raise the Main Injection Limits under Engine Speed (RPM Limit) just to make sure that limiter table isn't messing with your final fuel delivery. Also, your Boost Limit A table could use some massaging around the 3250 to 3800 RPM breakpoint so that there's not a sudden drop in the fueling limit with varying boost pressure.

Another thing to try out (and I would suggest doing all these things in separate stages to see what effect each change has on how the truck responds) would be to disable the General Limit C. Just another thing done on my truck, and I don't ever experience surging issues.

Also, add Fuel Pressure Desired to your log so you can see if actual is keeping up with desired.
    ok yea i had not touched it in a few months been out of town with work i will try the high med and low right now and move on to the others after i knew i was missing some stuff it was just brought up by a buddy about the map sensor so i mad a quick change to that because i read a steady 12 PSI just sitting.
    2005 Dodge 2500

Tuner
    issues all fixed i was hitting some limiters i didn't see in a few spots one was the RPM Limit page. Thanks for all the help guys not time to fine tune some power and not just guess because i can actually test now.
    2005 Dodge 2500

Advanced Tuner
    issues all fixed i was hitting some limiters i didn't see in a few spots one was the RPM Limit page. Thanks for all the help guys not time to fine tune some power and not just guess because i can actually test now.
    Guessing the RPM limiters that were affecting things were the Hi Speed Governor limits, then? I saw those and figured they would potentially need adjusting, but felt that the other things I mentioned were definitely more of an urgent matter to fix before you blow something up... LOL

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    Guessing the RPM limiters that were affecting things were the Hi Speed Governor limits, then? I saw those and figured they would potentially need adjusting, but felt that the other things I mentioned were definitely more of an urgent matter to fix before you blow something up... LOL
    the rpm limiter and the torque pages were 2 of the main ones then the full throttle gov as well. I got the other pages cleaned up went and had some dyno time Friday and got my tuning dialed in. Put down 539 HP with 1031 Ft/LBS of torque @ 40PSI with the waistgate cutting me off.
    2005 Dodge 2500

the rpm limiter and the torque pages were 2 of the main ones then the full throttle gov as well. I got the other pages cleaned up went and had some dyno time Friday and got my tuning dialed in. Put down 539 HP with 1031 Ft/LBS of torque @ 40PSI with the waistgate cutting me off.
    I didn't realize how long you had been having this problem!! Glad you came over here and we got it squared away!! It was awesome meeting you too! If i can help in the future let me know!!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Stroker View Post
    I didn't realize how long you had been having this problem!! Glad you came over here and we got it squared away!! It was awesome meeting you too! If i can help in the future let me know!!
    Yea, i am glad i got to come up as well. Thank you guys up at Diesel Doctor for setting me up. I will be back up after i do my head studs and valve springs to push it some more. You guys were awesome to deal with.
    2005 Dodge 2500