Thread: Brand new guy with probably worn out questions...

Potential Tuner

Brand new guy with probably worn out questions...

I am doing a engine swap in my 08' wrangler. The engine is a ls3 / 525. My questions are....

1) I am getting a brand new E38 ECU for this engine. Is there a general "base tune" available for this engine that's good enough to get it running and drive a little bit?

2) I am not wanting to run cats on the motor, and therefore would like to NOT install downstream o2 sensors. Should I rethink this from a tuning standpoint?

3) Is installing a wideband a great thing to do to aid with tuning?

The new LS3 engine isn't coming with a computer and you have to buy a seperate one?

The new computer will have to be programmed by a dealership first or maybe someone with a GM scan tool with access to files. Maybe they have calibrations for it seeing how they sell the engines.

Rear o2 sensors are fine to leave out.

A wideband is a must in my eyes for tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The new LS3 engine isn't coming with a computer and you have to buy a seperate one?

The new computer will have to be programmed by a dealership first or maybe someone with a GM scan tool with access to files. Maybe they have calibrations for it seeing how they sell the engines.

Rear o2 sensors are fine to leave out.

A wideband is a must in my eyes for tuning.

Yes have to buy it separate. Why would it have to be programmed by a dealership? Seems like someone could just throw a super basic tune on it and go from there?

Most new PCM's are blank, there is no starting file on there. The E38 is used in many different vehicles, like camaro's, silverado/sierra/tahoe/escalade/yukon. All of those are a tad different than the other when it comes to stock calibrations.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Most new PCM's are blank, there is no starting file on there. The E38 is used in many different vehicles, like camaro's, silverado/sierra/tahoe/escalade/yukon. All of those are a tad different than the other when it comes to stock calibrations.

Right, I'm here looking for a file to load from someone who may have tuned one of these before. I realize that it won't be perfect but it's better than nothing right.

HP Tuners can't write to a blank PCM though, sorry to repeat myself but it will need a starting file from a dealer.

Potential Tuner
    Ahh, I get it now.