Thread: VVE Tune question....

VVE Tune question....

Ok, So we all know I am a newb...and I ask a lot of questions..... So here is something I found to be way off... Maybe I am crazy and this is supposed to be how it works but here it is...
    Gen V V6 M6 LS Camaro....

Ran a log after setting up for a VVE tune...Running up to 4K RPM... And I read some discrepancies... Nothing to far off but a few #'s that were a little high.... AFR was running a little rich... but I was just going to make some minor tweeks... So I copied my logged VE LTFT+STFT Err, and when I pasted special multiply by %... and calculated the new coefficients.... The #"S went through the friggin' roof.... I mean they went from 1-2k range into the 10-40k range...!!! So.... What did I do wrong? Is it my logging procedure that is incorrect? Furthermore it told me Zone 5 and 11 would not support the change??? Would someone mind looking at the Log and Tune Setup, as well as the screen shots and let me know what I am doing wrong because basic math tells me 2% of 1000 is only 20.... so WTF! How could the coefficients change that much with such a small error factor? Obviously, I did not save the actual changes in the tune...But I just need some feedback on what I did wrong, as I am still learning....

16-09-07 04-04-49.hpl
    Camaro-Knock Reduce-VE tune Setup.hpt
    Capture23.PNG
    Capture22.PNG
    Capture25.PNG

Thanks..... The Idiot with a tuner...!!!
    Last edited by Jggregory99; 09-09-2016 at 04:15 AM.

I am sorry to see that nobody replied for a whole week. I don't spend much time in the V6 section even though I have an L67 Buick.

I am not sure what you multiplied by but....
    So anyway I have read several times that there is a nice, fast way to apply the log error% to the table but I still do it the slow way (if I want to add 10% I multiply by 1.1). Maybe I am wrong but I think that if you are going to apply the logged information it would need to be in the same exact format (0.10, 0.12, 0.14 MAP like the VVE table, not 15, 20,25 like the log). Like I said maybe it can work if the math is right but it does not seem right to my simple mind.

I should suggest that in SD tuning and MAF too for that matter I drive as steady as possible usually in 2nd and 3rd trying to maintain as much time as possible in each RPM row while gradually giving more and less gas over and over to fill the graph with useful info...then I shut off the log before decel so as not to mess up the data (20-25 kpa row). Even with DFCO turned off it still messes with the data when you let off the gas. (Some guys set up there scanner to automatically disregard this data.) Then I slowly work my way through the table averaging and building the numbers as I go. Slow but very effective at the end of the day. The reason I explain this is that even if you can apply this log table directly to the VVE table it will make a very bumpy table....from all of the 00000s. The smoothing function can help but it would not end up right. Also important to ignore numbers that must have been generated going into PE (25 at the 95 kpa section of 2200 RPM).

Good luck! Don't give up. The results will be worth it.

All is good after one training session, starting over with MAF and then going back to VE :-)....for others, the P0103 DTC needs to be set to Mil on First error to set the High Frequency MAF error being recreated to revert to Speed Density.

Closed Loop Enable>O2 Readiness Voltage I set to -2048 mv just to make sure.

If tuning in open loop, you cant use the LT+ST Fuel trim error values as they are disabled, Need to use your AFR or EQ Ratio error values.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    I am sorry to see that nobody replied for a whole week. I don't spend much time in the V6 section even though I have an L67 Buick.

I am not sure what you multiplied by but....
    So anyway I have read several times that there is a nice, fast way to apply the log error% to the table but I still do it the slow way (if I want to add 10% I multiply by 1.1). Maybe I am wrong but I think that if you are going to apply the logged information it would need to be in the same exact format (0.10, 0.12, 0.14 MAP like the VVE table, not 15, 20,25 like the log). Like I said maybe it can work if the math is right but it does not seem right to my simple mind.

I should suggest that in SD tuning and MAF too for that matter I drive as steady as possible usually in 2nd and 3rd trying to maintain as much time as possible in each RPM row while gradually giving more and less gas over and over to fill the graph with useful info...then I shut off the log before decel so as not to mess up the data (20-25 kpa row). Even with DFCO turned off it still messes with the data when you let off the gas. (Some guys set up there scanner to automatically disregard this data.) Then I slowly work my way through the table averaging and building the numbers as I go. Slow but very effective at the end of the day. The reason I explain this is that even if you can apply this log table directly to the VVE table it will make a very bumpy table....from all of the 00000s. The smoothing function can help but it would not end up right. Also important to ignore numbers that must have been generated going into PE (25 at the 95 kpa section of 2200 RPM).

Good luck! Don't give up. The results will be worth it.
    Thank you for the reply... I, now actually filter out a lot of the bad information in the Charts with the filter function. As I only tune with a WB in Open Loop things like Throttle position ranges, Fuel Cell Idle/Deceleration/PE entry, etc.... are blocked from the log....(Thank You Ed Mowton!) The 0.00's are actually 5+ hits with zero error values... In that, AFR Commanded and WB Err% Averages were spot on in those cells with zero % error. My major concern was the reaction of the VVE when I used the error % offset to calculate new Coefficents in the VVE.. I had never seen a table change so drastically. But Ed straightened me out with the logging of AFR Err% against the VVE... Still Learning, so... I keep plugging away... Thanks...

Cool! Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, thanks to mowton and the experts on here there is hope for us