Thread: What effect does IAT have on startup ?

Advanced Tuner

What effect does IAT have on startup ?

current tune 82816.hptWhat effect does the intake air temp have on startup ?
    My car doesn't run right until the ect gets to normal running temp ... found that my iat is reading wrong so I'm replacing it but it made me wonder about what its effect is. Car is MAF less

closed loop sd tune 99 Camaro SS 457 cid engine n/a
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-03-2016 at 07:36 PM.

I believe it can affect it some, not sure how much though. I mean if it's reading like -38 and the real temp is like 85, it's kind of a problem.

One thing to note, the tune is missing a setting for speed density. You must set the MAF dtc's to fail on first error, they can not be a no MIL light. Not having it right can screw with how it starts and runs too. Once you get you IAT back in, that VE table will need some help because of the random low numbers and it's pretty darn choppy but I assume a work in progress still.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    yes very much so in progress.. going to set maf dtc's to fail.. not sure how but doing a search on it....

ok left the boxes unchecked and selected mil on first error... is that correct?
    Last edited by 79 z28; 09-03-2016 at 10:36 PM.

I like to check the SES just to let me know the PCM has failed over to Speed Density....when tuning...can un-check it leaving in Speed density as normal operating strategy after tuning.

Also remember 1) you will be tuning the Secondary VE and then when complete, if returning to MAF only/Blended, will have to copy and paste the rows from the secondary table to the primary and interpolate between the missing rows. Also remember that you will revert to the Lo octane table in SD so copy the Hi Octane to the Lo octane. Again if returning vehicle to MAF only/blended after tuning the VE, the copy the Lo octane to the Hi octane and reduce the Lo octane table by 75-80% to handle knock timing adjustments.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 09-03-2016 at 10:49 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    confused me there a little... I'm not/don't making adjustments to the primary ve table ?

Actually you do have the speed density enhanced OS on this vehicle, so all corrections are done to the primary VE.

If you didn't have the OS upgrade there would be a secondary VE. That's where you'd follow the copy method. Do copy the Hi/Lo octane tables though.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Actually you do have the speed density enhanced OS on this vehicle, so all corrections are done to the primary VE.

If you didn't have the OS upgrade there would be a secondary VE. That's where you'd follow the copy method. Do copy the Hi/Lo octane tables though.
    Guess I should have opened his tune ......sorry for the confusion, the VE table and Hi and Lo Octane Spark tables operate as they should as well.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 09-04-2016 at 12:53 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    If it's any use, I can tell you that when my IAT went intermittent ( -35 > +40 > -35 every few seconds....) then the car was nearly undrivable, each time the sensor temp changed unexpectedly, the engine very nearly cut dead. However, if the sensor stayed at -35/disconnected, then after a short while (10 or 20s I guess) the ECU 'noticed' and went to some sort of limp mode, then it was quite usable, but still noticably poorer drivability than when the sensor was ok.

kr D.
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.