Thread: Newby.....What am I doing wrong???!!!

Newby.....What am I doing wrong???!!!

So, this is my first true foray into tuning and I am trying my best to listen to advice from the more experienced...I have The Tuning School Manual as well as the Lasota Racing Ultimate Guide to GM EFI Tuning for HP Tuners. I am tuning a 2006 Silverado 6.0L w/ a Cold Air intake and Magnaflow 3" Exhaust. The motor has recently been completely rebuilt and I am running a P59 ECM 1 Bar OS.....I set up my tune for VE only, make my runs and log the data...Cut Copy Paste Special by % then 1/2 %...and I get all zeros in my VE LTFT log.... SO, I set my ECM to MAF only for Low-Partial throttle....Make my runs, log my data....Cut, Copy, Paste Special by % then by 1/2 %..... Write and log some more...SO WHY in the name of "ODIN'S ASS" does my MAF look like the mountains of Valhalla and AFR's logged on a WEGO IV W/B are consistently off by 1-2% and sometime upwards of 7-8% on either side... I only run 93 Octane and have stoich set at 14.08 for E10 (which is the only fuel you can buy in NY...This was as per the Lasota Manual that I changed this...Page (9 and 22)... And smoothing just seems to throw everything off again on the next run...so I seem to be chasing my tail. I dropped 1-2 deg of spark across the board in the mid and WOT ranges to eliminate some KR I was getting in those ranges...which eliminated the Knock.... and yet I still can' seem to get my AFR's close to commanded Stoich AFR....

Any help would be appreciated...

Capture 11.PNG

Attachment 62559
    VE Final Run.hpl
    MAF Run 1.hpl
    Maf Run 3.hpl
    Last edited by Jggregory99; 08-31-2016 at 04:36 AM.

Tuner
    If street tuning you need steady state driving using techniques such as acc/brake to hit cells for as long as possible to gather good data. The more good data the better, the scanner is the most valuable tool. Then use filters for your graphs to filter out the crap.

If your getting 1-2% error be happy. 7-8% keep working on it by sneaking up on it. I like to err on the negative side for safety.
    I would recommend looking at Ed Mowton's offerings at ERM Performance, it's easy to tell someone what to do but it's the understanding why your making a certain parameter change is key.

Might help ya.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5lpDjVsioc and this one might help on showing you how to hit all the cells https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUYuhV0VADc
    Last edited by Monty; 09-02-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jggregory99 View Post
    So, this is my first true foray into tuning and I am trying my best to listen to advice from the more experienced...I have The Tuning School Manual as well as the Lasota Racing Ultimate Guide to GM EFI Tuning for HP Tuners. I am tuning a 2006 Silverado 6.0L w/ a Cold Air intake and Magnaflow 3" Exhaust. The motor has recently been completely rebuilt and I am running a P59 ECM 1 Bar OS.....I set up my tune for VE only, make my runs and log the data...Cut Copy Paste Special by % then 1/2 %...and I get all zeros in my VE LTFT log.... SO, I set my ECM to MAF only for Low-Partial throttle....Make my runs, log my data....Cut, Copy, Paste Special by % then by 1/2 %..... Write and log some more...SO WHY in the name of "ODIN'S ASS" does my MAF look like the mountains of Valhalla and AFR's logged on a WEGO IV W/B are consistently off by 1-2% and sometime upwards of 7-8% on either side... I only run 93 Octane and have stoich set at 14.08 for E10 (which is the only fuel you can buy in NY...This was as per the Lasota Manual that I changed this...Page (9 and 22)... And smoothing just seems to throw everything off again on the next run...so I seem to be chasing my tail. I dropped 1-2 deg of spark across the board in the mid and WOT ranges to eliminate some KR I was getting in those ranges...which eliminated the Knock.... and yet I still can' seem to get my AFR's close to commanded Stoich AFR....

Any help would be appreciated...

Capture 11.PNG

Attachment 62559
    VE Final Run.hpl
    MAF Run 1.hpl
    Maf Run 3.hpl
    OK back away from the ledge ...it can be frustrating. If you are interested in a formal approach to learning then contact us. Have Tutorial (embedded video'sl) and a curriculum customized to your needs.....

Street tuning requires a lot of patience and some detailed filtering to get to the "good" error data as well as a set procedure or what I call Strategy for each specific phase of tuning. You can get a lot of great help here as well as YouTube. Check out our YouTube channel (ERM Performance Tuning) for some complimentary basic how to videos produced in support of HP Tuners Version 3.X release.

Posyt the sequence of tunes and logs and we will take a look at it for you.

Thank you Codes for the props

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 09-02-2016 at 01:35 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]