Thread: How difficult?

Potential Tuner

How difficult?

Hey guys, Im about to purchase a pro unit so I can fine tune my car for a few mall mods. I have a 2013 zl1 wiith close to 600rwhp that I brought it to a local tuner and there are a few small issues with the tune as well as the fact Im modding at a ridiculous pace I really would rather not have to fork over hundreds of dollars every time I need a small adjustment. That being said Im not sure the learning curve involved and the level of difficulty with hptuners so Im hoping you guys can clear that up for me. I like tinkering but at the same time Im not sure I have the time to go crazy and learn every aspect of tuning a vehicle and not willing to invest 100's of hours to learn it if thats what its going to take.
    Assuming I can relatively easily with the help of you all tune my car, what wideband is the most preferred? I was recommended a plx unit by someone and its relatively cheap will that work? Anything else I need to get started? Im catless so I can utilize a bung and leave the O2 sensor in place and disable the rear o2 sensors from what Ive read?
    Thanks

Wrong forum....
    Better read a lot and get a handle on tuning before you start modding an FI Gen 4 computer

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Moved to gen 4 section.

PLX unit is fine but has been shown to be a little slow to react

AEM 30-0333 is what I've been using lately. So far so good and easy to setup as long as you're only using it on a newer (CAN bus) vehicle

There's a ton to learn, no way around it.. but if you are willing to learn then the info is out there. Prepare to be pretty frustrated in the beginning. It's a lot to learn but all of us have done it. I'm sure you can too.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    AEM 30-0333 for the win. plus, if your going to be tuning an LSA (or any car with either HPT or EFIlive) plan to spend 100s of hours learning. unfortunately that's what it takes. I started messing (really doing it myself) with it at the beginning of this year and im probably at about a solid 35% to 50% total (I mean detailed) understanding and confident level. this will take a lot of time not only reading and searching, but asking questions and then experimenting. most the time very small adjustments. sometimes it works out in the wrong direction but most the time its in the right direction.

ive noticed that I don't watch as much TV as I used after my kids go to be and relax time...I sit on this forum and read. and at this point with the limited amount of mods in my sig I have over 100 downloads of tunes into the car. but in my opinion it runs 1000 times better then the so called professional tune I got that was so piss poor that got me started down the path of doing it myself in the first place.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Look into formal, one on one training :-)

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]