Thread: Changing ECU Identification?

Changing ECU Identification?

Hey all!

Just recently got HP Tuners and am looking to get some info. I had the car street tuned previously, and was wanting to get into the whole tuning game. Purchased HP and rented some dyno time to go over my own vehicle first. I have a supercharged LS2 (6L), and right away noticed that it was tuned under a 5.3L designation. So naturally the VE tables are out to whack. Just wondering if there's a way I can reassign it as a 6L and start from scratch. Thanks for any help in advance, cheers guys.

Post the tune file.

The Ve tables for a 5.3 and 6.0 aren't crazy different, it may still be close on the tune but it should have the cylinder volume be correct for the 6.0 engine.

How do the scans look when it's running?? Are fuel trims all over the place or the wideband reading all funky?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Like the full read, or just the VE table?

Fuel trims when we loaded it on the dyno, in cells that wouldn't be touched were horrendous. 9.4-9.9 AFR's? So before putting in numbers to trick it to be correct I just wanted it done proper from the start.

Just post the tune you are working with, need to see the whole thing.

Hard to grasp what you are saying on fuel trims without seeing it.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I want to assume this is a MAF-less setup, if so the MAF dtc's need to set to first error if you removed the MAF from the vehicle.

VE tables needs alot of help, too large of numbers in the 1,200 rpm to 3,600 rpm sections for sure. 23-25 degree's of timing under boost sounds kinda dangerous. I wouldn't max out the knock retard decay either but that's just me.

Yeah it's speed density tuned currently. I'm going to keep it that way for the final tune as well.

So, before changing the VE tables of this I was wondering if I can switch the ID to a 6L, since there is so much work that has to be done anyways. Rather than "tricking" it into doing what I want it to. What does the knock retard decay do? Control how much timing it can pull if it senses knock?

Also, here is the dyno data we acquired.

LQ4 G35 CR Data.pdf

The tune is already changed for the 6.0. The engine type and cylinder volume under the general tab are already changed to support the 6.0. You aren't tricking the computer to do anything here as it's already setup to run that engine.

Just change those MAF dtc's because this is a speed density tune and you aren't going to use a MAF sensor. Make sure you are running a seperate IAT sensor because you removed the MAF. Then you can start re-doing that VE table. Use your wideband to create a lambda or AFR error to dial it in.

You are losing alot of power running that rich, you are only commanding like low 11's for AFR but if you are seeing 9's then it needs to be fixed. Set up your boost ratio vs map to match your EQ ratio, so they both command the same AFR in boost.

Post up any logs too once you get going, will be able to tell how it's running.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 08-26-2016 at 01:06 PM.

How do I go about changing the MAF dtc's? I have an IAT in the blower plate itself so that's covered. I wondered why it wasn't even close to hitting the target AFR's, but that makes sense.

What do you suggest I look over to practice/get better at navigating the menus? I'm a licensed tech and understand the mechanics behind most of it. However I'm not the best with computers, and this is the first time using software like this.

Run 5.hpl

And although I know it's hard to guesstimate, could you ballpark what sort of safe power this setup should be able to make?

Engine diag > dtc's > P0101/P0102/P0103 set to first error, you can uncheck the SES boxes.

Just to make sure you can see everything go to EDIT > view > advanced, that way you can see every table.

Reading and just getting your used to the software is the best way to understand what things mean, it does take a lot of time to get down.

Based off that short log file I see an issue with the MAP sensor, assuming you have a 2 bar map sensor you will need to get the MAP reading in the scanner. It currently maxxed out at 105 kpa so you'd never be able to tune for boost without knowing how much boost you are running. Depending on how it was tuned before that is a big reason as to why it's not right.

Add knock retard, injector info to the main channels too. You can remove the MAF pid as you won't need it. Depending on what wideband you are running, you can put that into the scanner too. The standard version can use the EGR circuit with some wiring and make it work that way or if you have the PRO version you can use the green dealio on the side of the MPVI to plug in your wideband.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 08-26-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Perfect, thanks for all the info!

Are you thinking the MAP data is incorrect then? We had a hell of a time finding the data for it to put into the table, wonder if it's reading wrong due to that. On gauge I usually hit around 9psi if I remember correctly.