Thread: 2009 Pontiac G5 supercharged 2.2

2009 Pontiac G5 supercharged 2.2

I started learning hptuner software in may and have been constantly reading and getting to know the program. I am already quite familiar with it and can find my way around the software.

So far i have tuned 3 LS based trucks, 1 G5 GT i have, and currently tuning an LS3 swapped older car. All these are not aggressive tunes just correcting some tables for cam installs so they dont stall and idle badly. Now that im alot more familiar with tuning i want to give it a try on my 2.2 supercharged G5.

It is trifecta tuned right now and it runs good only a couple issues with the tune but drivability is fine. I want to upgrade it with a 2.9 zzp pulley and #60 injectors im getting from my brother but do not want to buy a retune when i can tune it myself and be better off.

Now i wanted to ask for some pointers on how to tune for boost as i cant find any info on it for my engine. All guides and tips i find are for lsj or lnf engines that already come boosted as many of you already know. I believe i have to MAF tune it, and i have my scanner setup for that already. I know i will be changing the injector flow rate, pulsewidth, and constant. And i read that timing needs to be adjusted when boosting.

By the way i have a wideband installed and can hook it up to vcm scanner.

I know this is a very noobie question but i want to learn. Thanks for your replies
    Last edited by Vasquezz1228; 08-25-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Senior Tuner
    What year is the g5? What fuel is going to be used?
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    What year is the g5? What fuel is going to be used?
    Its a 2009 2.2 with vvt. And im using 93 pump gas.

no help? Was thinking of using some settings off a supercharged 2.4 with similar mods that I'm putting in as a base for my tune. Does that sound good?

Is this a E67 ecm?
    Im running a 2.4 with M62 GMPP Stage II. Im looking for info myself, Ive tuned the MAF and VVE so far.
    Now working on dialing in the boost.
    2006 Cobalt SS 2.4 SC 5spd
    GMPP Stage 2 w\2 pass plate
    Bst ref FP Reg at tank, E67 ecm
    ZZP mid-length header\catted dwnpipe
    253 Whp so far

No mine is a e37 i believe. Are you using the gm performance ecm? Thats the e67, i have worked on those for ls swaps. They are pretty similar from the ones i have got into. What other modifications did you do besides MAF and VVE?

Edit: just noticed the e67 was used in 2.4 ecotecs until 2007. Haha sorry thought you might have a swap or something.
    Last edited by Vasquezz1228; 09-27-2016 at 02:03 AM.

I used the original ECM that came with my car.
    I used a 2oo6 STS 4.4SC to pin out the needed additional sensors.
    2.0SC ETC throttle-body, rewired to match the E67 ecm.
    PE settings adjusted
    VVE set to 210KPA
    253 Whp so far

What additional sensors did you use? I kept my MAF and MAP sensors stock, and im running an m62 supercharger as well. I did use an adapter by ZZP for the use of the LSJ throttle body.

I meant as changes to the airflow table, and changes to the spark tables you may have made? I can tune the MAF and VVE but whats holding me back is other changes like airflow, spark advance, and fueling.

I had to add Supercharger Inlet Air Pressure, Manifold Air Temp (part of 2.5bar TMAP), Baro sensor.
    Boost control soleniod and coolant pump signal.
    2.5 bar TMAP, I reset MAP sensor Linear -3.30 to 270 and Estimated MAP min. 10kpa and max 210kpa.
    Reset ETC scalar to the LSJ setting.
    Reset injector calibration tables to match GMPP 42lb injectors.

I attached a tune.

I havent figured out the VVT.
    Minimum work on timing, just enough to stave off knock.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    253 Whp so far

Looked over it and got the idea of what i need to do to mine. You are running a speed density tune correct? And any specific reason to use the LSJ ETC scalar?
    Also, did you wire the HE pump to a pin on the ecm?

Sorry for all the questions, i didnt know you could do all that haha

Im running blended, with dynamic maxed at 3500rpm for now.
    LSJ Tbody is larger, the scalar tells the ECM the area/per degree of rotation of the throttle blade.
    Yes the ECM grounds the HE pump.
    That tune I posted just has the Maf failed while I experimented with cam timing and VVE.
    Ask all the questions you can, thats how Im getting my education as well...Lol
    253 Whp so far

Ohh ok, i always wondered how i could tell the ecm what throttle body im using haha. Im waiting to tune it for when i have time. I drive my car daily so i need some free time to put the pulley and injectors in and tune it.

Btw is there anyway i can log my current tune and kinda get a feeling for the settings it has now?

Have you Read the existing tune?
    What version of HPT do you have?
    Log while driving, with your existing Config.(Ver. 2.24) or Layouts(Ver.3.xxx)see whats happening.
    Get your WB set up and log that.

Edit: you will need to check your Injector Flow Rate...my max IFR is 60lbs.
    If you have the same limit...your tune will have to be scaled to run the 60's.
    Last edited by JMsquared; 10-04-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: additional info
    253 Whp so far

I have version 3.0 of hpt.

i have tried to read the file but was unable to because i did not tune it. I got it trifecta tuned, but i read online to flash my stock tune back with trifecta cable and then read with hpt.

Yes, i will be running 60lbs injectors and i read on how to setup for 60s. I dont have the specs for them since i am getting them second hand, but nothing a simple google search can find correct?

No prob to get injector info as long as you have injector part numbers.
    253 Whp so far

I will Look later as I have still not had time to install the new supercharger and injectors, i was wanting to log my current tune and tune my car with my current setup before changing to the 2.9 pulley and 60s. i have LSJ stock injectors and stock pulley on my current M62. i couldnt find info on LSJ injectors though, could i use the settings from an LSJ tune?

Yes, you can use the LSJ info for stock LSJ injectors.
    253 Whp so far

Soo I started Logging my car today to see what kind of timing it is getting and get an idea of how the MAF is reading and other things. i noticed that my LTFT show very low numbers. im in the -50s. and STFT are the same. my LTFT+STFT are in the -100 to -90 range. The scanner reads those fine on the other cars i have run the scanner on but on my car its not reading right. i have been using it on mostly LS based ECMs like trucks and camaro and corvettes. i also used it on my NA G5 GT and it reads those just fine. I wonder if Something might be wrong with my tune or what.

i cant pull the tune since it was not tuned by me. i will flash it stock and start from there on my own tune but wanted to get an idea on what i have now.

Here is a Log i took earlier tonight.

Log1.hpl

I figured it out. Its so stupid. For some reason my ecm is sending -100 readings and -50 readings off bank 2 sensors 1 and 2. But u only have one o2 sensor lol. I removed them from my channels and its working now.

Another question i have is i made a table that logs the airflow according to MAF frequency. The numbers seem to look like the numbers on my MAF table on the tune. I didnt find anything on this in all my searches. So the question is. Can i use the numbers i logged and put them in the MAF table on my tune to kind of make a base MAF tune? If that makes sense.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasquezz1228 View Post
    Another question i have is i made a table that logs the airflow according to MAF frequency. The numbers seem to look like the numbers on my MAF table on the tune. I didnt find anything on this in all my searches. So the question is. Can i use the numbers i logged and put them in the MAF table on my tune to kind of make a base MAF tune? If that makes sense.
    So you will want to build a graph that has a Column Axis parameter of your Mass Airflow Frequency and leave your Row Axis parameter blank. Enter all of the column axis values from the your MAF Calibration table in Editor, to your new graph's column axis, place a comma between each values. Doing that will duplicate your MAF Calibration table.

I typically make two of that same graph. One I log LTFT + STFT as the logging parameter. Then the second one, I log AFR Error as the logging parameter.

That way you can use those to properly dial in your MAF Calibration table.

You use the Fuel Trim graph to dial in the MAF Calibration while in closed loop obviously and then use the AFR Error while in open loop/PE.

And also have to note, for any of this to work you will need to make sure that you are logging MAF frequency, AFR Commanded, AFR (you will actually need to install your own personal wideband for this), Long Term Fuel Trims and Short Term Fuel Trims in the Channel list.