Thread: Tips and pointers for newbie

Potential Tuner

Tips and pointers for newbie

My hp tuner pro should arive today, I've never done any tuning to this degree before. We have bought this package for a build we are doing at the shop. I'm sure that I'll have a million questions, probably really obvious questions for you pro's out there. Any tips before i get started would be great. Thanks

Tuner
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...tarted-Threads

Learn your way around the scanner.

Potential Tuner
    thanks for that codes, how does the credits program work? I license a vin# and build a tune in that computer, then any future changes to that vin/computer, does not require more credits?

Your MPVI should have come with 8 credits, we'll just say they are GM credits here.

You hook up your MPVI to the vehicle/computer, read the file with the Editor. It should then ask you what you want to do, view it or licence it. Click licence and go through the steps, it will take 2 credits and when it is done you will have 6 credits and 1 licenced file.

That "stock" tune file is the most important file of them all, that is your go to file if you ever screw something up or need to return to stock information for whatever reason. Any changes made to the file are all free, there is no credit charge for changes or writing back into your computer. You have unlimited flashes with that 1 licence to that computer.

Anytime you make any changes or make a new tune starting off with the "stock" tune you must save it under a new name. You should be able to go under "properties" on the stock tune file and change it to read only so you can't overwrite it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks 5fpd, it has arrived today. Probably will not get a chance to mess with it till this weekend. Could you explain the repository system hp tuners?

The tune repository is on your customer page if you wish to use it.

It's a place where stock files and modded tunes have been posted for others to view. Not every single vehicle will found there but most are. It should only be a place to go to if you need to look at something to compare with. Like comparing two different years or diference in motor size/tranmission type things for settings. I would try not to ever use it as a place to just copy and paste someones modded tune because you have no idea if said person knew what they were doing in the first place.

Looking at modded tunes for comparing similar data on maybe added parts such as diferent injectors/MAP sensor is alright too but again some things could still be wrong. Lastly never download a file from the repository and try to write it to your vehicle, it will cost you more credits and go brick your computer.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Finally got around to playing with this thing, and wow its amazing I even went ahead and built a bench tuner to be able to read, modify the gm computer out of the truck (since the motor is at the machine shop)

Save your stock tune to a Flash drive and put a copy in a separate file folder from the normal save locations...and KEEP IT SEPERATE....!!! Don't ask how I know this...You don't want to know..! LOL... Seriously, many laptops are very sensitive to the save icons and you could very easily overwrite your stock tune file.. especially when you are using the keyboard mouse pointer and not a USB Mouse... Just some friendly advice...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jggregory99 View Post
    Save your stock tune to a Flash drive and put a copy in a separate file folder from the normal save locations...and KEEP IT SEPERATE....!!! Don't ask how I know this...You don't want to know..! LOL... Seriously, many laptops are very sensitive to the save icons and you could very easily overwrite your stock tune file.. especially when you are using the keyboard mouse pointer and not a USB Mouse... Just some friendly advice...
    Thats not a bad idea, thanks!