Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Experience with Tuners - Please help - Supercharged LS3

Tuner in Training

Bad Experience with Tuners - Please help - Supercharged LS3

Story: Bought the magnacharger kit and didn't like the way the car ran and the way the transmission shifted so I paid for a remote tune from Pat G after borrowing HPT from a buddy. Through 8 tunes I still wasn't happy with it so I paid a local guy to tune it and put the car on the dyno. Car seems to run ok to me just my issue is with on cold starts when I put it into get it wants to / will stall on me(just browsing it looks to me like its in the Open/Closed loop settings). That tuner has been screwing me around for a year on getting a look at my car again and I'm tired of it so I borrowed the software / interface again and here we are. I read quite a few post of guys that had many issues and had next to no knowledge and everyone seemed very helpful and the problems were fixed. I'm almost $800 into getting this tuned and its still not right

I have been talking to schpenxel and he was helping me with the HPT setup to make sure I had everything setup right and on a short log he said that he thought the tune wasn't right so he told me to post over here.

Car: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6.2L LS3. Magnacharger TVS2300 kit. FIC 60lb fuel injectors, 3" pulley, 310lph AEM fuel pump, Rotofab intake

SO... How bad is the tune...

Side note - the wideband was just installed this week.

I attached the tune and a long log. Slow and Fast driving. city roads and highway.

I'm obviously new to the tuning so please be patient with me. I appreciate all the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    Add MAF frequency or Hz/Knock Retard/IAT Advance/Cylinder Airmass to your scanner... Your fueling is out anywhere from 4 to 20some percent at times...

Do you have the heartbeat magnuson or is it the older one? It also wouldn't hurt to install a different "3bar" map instead of the OE 1.5bar map - yours is currently maxing at 120kpa...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Ok added MAF Freq. Will log when I drive to work in the am.

It is the older design - The heartbeat came out just after I bought mine.

I found the LSA/LS9 is a 3 bar # 12592525. What will I need (if anything) to do other than install the sensor - will the car be drivable before changing settings in the tune?

Tuning Addict
    No, you have to input the new map settings - without this it probably won't even run :/

Do you have cylinder airmass and the others as options for your scanner listings? If you do, add them too... Looks like your running a lot of ignition timing - curious on the spark knock...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by belo4884 View Post
    Ok added MAF Freq. Will log when I drive to work in the am.

It is the older design - The heartbeat came out just after I bought mine.

I found the LSA/LS9 is a 3 bar # 12592525. What will I need (if anything) to do other than install the sensor - will the car be drivable before changing settings in the tune?

Disregard this post I was think ls1/ls7 to ls3 map and clearly you have a ls3.
    Last edited by SMEC; 08-25-2016 at 12:55 AM.

Tuner in Training
    added cylinder airmass - what are the others that needed added?

Do I just change the Linear (312.50) and offset (-11.25) and I'm good to go for the MAP? If so then I will get the sensor coming and install tomorrow hopefully

SMEC- Why would I need the adapter harness? That looks like its for LS1/2
    Last edited by belo4884; 08-24-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Do you still have any issues on the transmission side of things??

Any lurching or bucking/slamming into gear??

You could add some time back into the shift time if you do, they look to be zero'd out.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Its not too bad but may need tweeked. I wouldn't say that it slams into gear but 1-2 can be a little harsh when cruising / driving normal

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    No, you have to input the new map settings - without this it probably won't even run :/

Do you have cylinder airmass and the others as options for your scanner listings? If you do, add them too... Looks like your running a lot of ignition timing - curious on the spark knock...
    Just to add to this about timing, check the ECT spark adder table as well and keep in mind this table adds to your timing, check the lower temp areas.

Tuner in Training
    Here are 2 logs from this morning. The First one (#4) is what the car does on cold start and wants to stall. The second one (#5) is the drive to work with a couple other channels added
    • File Type: hpl 4.hpl (473.6 KB, 9 views)
    • File Type: hpl 5.hpl (4.79 MB, 8 views)

Add knock retard to list of channels so you can keep an eye out for it

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Add knock retard to list of channels so you can keep an eye out for it
    will do then I will log the drive home. Anything else to add?

What about changing the MAP like suggested before - do all I have to do is replace it then change the 2 numbers in the tune to make the car able to be driven?

Yes

Add idle adapt advance if you've had any idle/surging issues

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Yes

Add idle adapt advance if you've had any idle/surging issues
    ok added Knock Retard and Idle Air Advance.

Is the Yes for the MAP or should I just leave that alone?

yes for MAP

Tuner in Training
    MAP installed & changed the 2 settings. Here is 3 logs - #6 is idling after the flash, #7 is just a short drive from work, # 8 is the drive home with one harder accel.

Tuning Addict
    Your new MAF table attached... You'll need to do lots more logging and fine corrections, but this should be a lot better than what you have right now...

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Your new MAF table attached... You'll need to do lots more logging and fine corrections, but this should be a lot better than what you have right now...
    Thank You. So just copy paste this into the MAF Calibration Airflow vs Freq. correct? Is the way I'm logging ok or should I be doing something more specific when driving?

Tuning Addict
    Your driving fine... AND yes just highlight everything in the white cells, copy and then paste into yours...

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. I know I'm prolly asking stupid questions but I like I said first post I'm new to this and just don't want to mess something up on my end. I changed the units for the MAF to match yours and then copied the table over. I will flash in the am then log the drive to work. I will post the log when I get there.