Thread: V6 Camaro Tune... Thoughts on how to improve it...?

V6 Camaro Tune... Thoughts on how to improve it...?

So after doing a little tuning on my 14 Camaro, this is my current tune file. Any experienced tuners care to chime in.. What could I improve. It is a relatively stock vehicle except for a K&N Cold air and 3.91 gear set... My LTFT seem to be off a little, and in a few spots I am getting KR, but it is not across the board. Could I get away with another Deg. of advance in WOT? or should I leave it as is.... Any feedback is welcome...

14 V6 Camaro-Sport Tune.hpt
    Camaro tune 2nd gear run.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Not to bad, I would actually pull some timing out in some of those areas. Stock car with K&N, should be able to get that thing to not have any knock at all. Especially with a AFR ratio of 12.7 @ WOT.

And I would also put the Base Retard table back to stock and the Max Knock Retard table back to stock.

Is the car running on premium fuel?

And did you notice any difference from changing the Max % area vs RPM in the electronic throttle tab? Normally just left, that stock at 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    Not to bad, I would actually pull some timing out in some of those areas. Stock car with K&N, should be able to get that thing to not have any knock at all. Especially with a AFR ratio of 12.7 @ WOT.

And I would also put the Base Retard table back to stock and the Max Knock Retard table back to stock.

Is the car running on premium fuel?

And did you notice any difference from changing the Max % area vs RPM in the electronic throttle tab? Normally just left, that stock at 100%.
    Thanks for the input Mark...I ONLY use 93 as this thing does not seem to like anything less..... Actually... A previous tuner did the Base and Max Retard and Max Throttle % when I first bought the vehicle, before making any changes to the intake. So I would not even know what the original stock tune looks like. Seems like some tuners get pissy when you tell them you are learning their craft, and their response is to cut you off...completely! And left without a tuner, I had to tune my Silverado after a complete overhaul. I just started messing around with this vehicle because my AFR was off with the new K&N and the new 3.91 Set. I smoothed out the advance table (which looked like the frigging Himalaya's) and I played around with the PE to give it better acceleration in the lower RMP range. I was actually going to start doing SD only logging tomorrow. Looking at the log however, it is hard to pinpoint an exact condition for the knock, so I am wondering if it is just a false knock I am getting considering my "Test Track" is a twisty, hilly, not entirely smooth mountain road. As far as pulling timing, what range and how much timing would you pull. This is going to become my "Sleeper" project... Eventually want to do Cams, Ported 80mm TB and Manifold W/ JacFab spacer. but I know I am limited with the V6. I just want to scrape every ounce of power out of it without going into forced induction mods. As it is she moves pretty damn good for a baby engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Here are some stock tables to compare your throttle, base retard, and max knock too.

Max % Area vs RPM.png
    Base Retard.png
    Maximum Knock Retard vs RPM vs MAP.png

Actually go ahead and pull a 2014 file from the repository and compare your file to a stock file. So you can see the main areas that you should pull some timing out at. You have some spots in the WOT area where you have 5-6* over stock. Which is just a bit over doing it, in those upper ranges. But you could also, just the scanner to find out where you need the timing out at. Create a graph to duplicate your Main Spark Advance table and log knock retard as the parameter. And just copy & paste special (subtract), then keep smoothing your table. Also you should be able to add a couple more degrees to your cruising area, to get a bit better MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    Here are some stock tables to compare your throttle, base retard, and max knock too.

Actually go ahead and pull a 2014 file from the repository and compare your file to a stock file. So you can see the main areas that you should pull some timing out at. You have some spots in the WOT area where you have 5-6* over stock. Which is just a bit over doing it, in those upper ranges. But you could also, just the scanner to find out where you need the timing out at. Create a graph to duplicate your Main Spark Advance table and log knock retard as the parameter. And just copy & paste special (subtract), then keep smoothing your table. Also you should be able to add a couple more degrees to your cruising area, to get a bit better MPG.
    Thanks...

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe I'm wrong, but your PE setting look wrong to me. The way you have PE setup, you'll be in PE just cruising around. PE should only be used when really trying to accelerate quickly - high-pedal/high-RPM situations...

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but your PE setting look wrong to me. The way you have PE setup, you'll be in PE just cruising around. PE should only be used when really trying to accelerate quickly - high-pedal/high-RPM situations...
    Tks...! Missed that...