Thread: Bunch of new parts. Dont know where to start on tune....

Tuner in Training

Bunch of new parts. Dont know where to start on tune....

A buddy of mine just put a fast 102 and cnc ported 243 heads on his 2000 camaro. I changed his injector size and car starts and idles...sorta. I dont really know where to start with the fast 102 and the new heads. Ive only tuned my car with a cammed LQ4. Ive heard the fast 102 can sorta be a pain.

The car starts every time. Sometimes you have to give it a little gas but it starts. Idles fine for a minute until the Idle Air counts go down to 0-20. Then it hunts and surges. It has serious idle hang when you give it gas too. The throttle blade is closed all the way with the set screw and TPS has been reset. Log file and tune file attached. No maf btw (he bought an LS7 style maf to put on it. not sure how to get that to work either).

Any help would be great.

idle log.hplstartup tune2.hpt
    2000 WS6 M6 swap, 6.0 LQ4, Home ported 243 heads, Howards 226/232 .580 112, home made turbo kit, VS7875, D&D T56, Monster Stage 3, Strange S60, 580whp @ 8psi. 100% built and tuned by me.

If he got a different MAF you might have to wire in a seperate IAT sensor but don't quote me on that. I do notice the intake temps go straight to -38 and that will screw with how it runs for sure.

Just from reading the fuel trims, it's going to need alot of VE table work and MAF curve work. You could start with the VE table if you have a working IAT sensor. Getting that dialed in will help with idling too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If he got a different MAF you might have to wire in a seperate IAT sensor but don't quote me on that. I do notice the intake temps go straight to -38 and that will screw with how it runs for sure.

Just from reading the fuel trims, it's going to need alot of VE table work and MAF curve work. You could start with the VE table if you have a working IAT sensor. Getting that dialed in will help with idling too.
    Thanks for the reply. I added some idle airflow and upped the idle speed to 1000. The biggest thing that helped was adding idle overspeed/underspeed spark correction. After that change it really stayed smooth at idle and doesnt die anymore. With every pass of VE tuning the car gets better and better.
    2000 WS6 M6 swap, 6.0 LQ4, Home ported 243 heads, Howards 226/232 .580 112, home made turbo kit, VS7875, D&D T56, Monster Stage 3, Strange S60, 580whp @ 8psi. 100% built and tuned by me.