Thread: E85 strategy for 05-09 Mustang GT?

E85 strategy for 05-09 Mustang GT?

I have a 2007 Mustang GT (4.6L 3V) and was wondering what was needed for a full E85 "conversion"? Mine is still naturally aspirated and I was wondering what is needed to squeeze a bit more power. I heard the stock fuel system is compatible with E85, but will the stock fuel pumps and injectors handle a E85 tune?

For the tune, do I just set stoich to 9.7-10? Will I need larger injectors?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    I have a 2007 Mustang GT (4.6L 3V) and was wondering what was needed for a full E85 "conversion"? Mine is still naturally aspirated and I was wondering what is needed to squeeze a bit more power. I heard the stock fuel system is compatible with E85, but will the stock fuel pumps and injectors handle a E85 tune?

For the tune, do I just set stoich to 9.7-10? Will I need larger injectors?
    since your ECM doesn't have flex fuel logic you would need to set your stoich to 9.74 and upgrade your injectors. I doubt you'll need a new pump since you are still NA. Just make sure you plug in all the right injector data for the injector you go with and tuning it should be no different than when you were on unleaded. Also if you have a wideband gauge to monitor your A/F's, set that sucker to display out in Lambda. It's so much easier to read that way while tuning.

What injector size should I use?

Advanced Tuner
    I found this over on SVT forums, Looks like VMP was able to run e85 on a stock 3v fuel system

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ang-GT-4-6L-3V

Looks like you may be able to get away with stock pump and injectors if you raise the pump's pressure. 90% duty cycle isn't bad, i'd feel comfy running that, 95 is prob as high i would go though, you still want some control over them. But if stock injectors can handle it at 90-95% IDC then just get what ever next step up injector you can find injector data for and are cheapest. You could prob get away with some LU47's or MU52's. Both are relatively cheap sets
    Last edited by Jn2; 08-19-2016 at 09:31 PM.

So the stock injectors should be 24 lb/hr?
    Would E85 cause any long-term damage to the fuel system? I thought I read that the 05-up Mustangs are physically compatible with E85.

I just did the math, and the stock fuel pump running 8.37:1 AFR (0.85 lambda for E85) is only good for about 324 hp. My engine is already flowing over 35 lb/min of airmass at the moment with 93 octane (about 330+ hp).
    Last edited by metroplex; 08-20-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I run e85 in a number of vehicles. one is a completely stock 2000 4.3 s10 blazer. (it hits like 99.9% IDC at wot, but i never really go over part throttle in it so i dont mind).

If you have sufficient flow, youre going to be fine with anything modern.

Though if you have higher miles on a car thats been 93 you should plan to replace fuel filters every oil change for a couple times (i did this for 6 oil changes) and the first few were pretty dirty (the blazer in reference has 320k miles on it though). e85 will clean out a lot of gunk and it may clog a fuel filter and burn out the pump prematurely.

as far as capacity of the system, im not of much help there.

Tuner in Training
    You'll need bigger injectors, 39lbs cobra injectors are suitable. The remainder of the fuel system will be sufficient.

I'm making 389whp on e85 with the stock pump with just a wire upgrade. Pump DC is 94% though.

How are the injector seals / fuel parts holding up in the long-term? The GM LNF (2.0L GTDI) crowd seems to have injector seal issues with E85 and found that E47 is a better compromise for power and longevity.

Tuner in Training
    Isn't the lnf direct injection? I'm sure 2500+ psi of fuel pressure doesn't help. I've had no problems with my setup and there have been plenty of people running e85 for years with no issue,