Thread: What did I miss on this RussK idle config?

Tuner in Training

What did I miss on this RussK idle config?

Initial start and tune on a friend's S2000, 5.3 swapped. Mild Comp Thumpr cam, swap headers. OLSD tune.

Made some edits to help it start-up easier, mostly to force OLSD, base RAF etc.

After a log to full temp, the Desired Airflow values came up a good bit lower than what they should have, and lower than stock values as well.

Attached is the tune and the log.initialtstartmikesecurev2.hpt81616659.hpl

Dont mind the excessively rich commanded AFR. Something funny I figured out in a later revision with the Flexfuel stuff.

The reported AFR at some point got into the 11's, but later figured out it was from my fat ass pulling the wire out of the screw terminal.

Make sure the vacuum line behind the intake manifold (and all others) is reattached....could be a leak if Idle desired is coming in so low

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Mine came in a bit low as well on a heads/cam 5.7l -

111 133 154 176 198 219
    6.79 6.00 5.59 5.20 4.70 4.70

the STIT was pretty close so I let it be. IAC counts above 175* hovered 18-32.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Make sure the vacuum line behind the intake manifold (and all others) is reattached....could be a leak if Idle desired is coming in so low

Ed M
    I'm pretty sure that it is, but that being said the view at that end of the manifold is not great. I'll have him smoke test it.

Quote Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
    Mine came in a bit low as well on a heads/cam 5.7l -

111 133 154 176 198 219
    6.79 6.00 5.59 5.20 4.70 4.70

the STIT was pretty close so I let it be. IAC counts above 175* hovered 18-32.
    Does it actually idle well and not try to stall?

Tuner in Training
    Wanted to check a few things before coming back to this thread.

My setup on an 04 GTO LS1-swapped car has the valve cover ports capped off, the valley port routes into the intake manifold (with no PCV), and the other TB ports are capped off. There is a breather filter cap in place of the stock oil fill cap. I don't know what effect this may have on idle airflow numbers, as the car came like this when I bought it. Today I found that the vac port under the MAP sensor was basically cracked in half. I went to see how loose it was and as soon as I touched it, it fell off. I put another cap on it.

All lines are zip-tied/clamped down, and I checked the lines to verify no cracks. My intake manifold bolts were loose a little while ago, so I torqued them back to spec. I did not remove the intake to inspect the gaskets, but I may replace them at some point anyway.

I checked base airflow numbers again after replacing that vacuum cap, and they're more or less the same. The car holds idle but will fluctuate a bit, maybe +/- 50RPM. The idle chart in my logs looks pretty stable. I'm having other issues, so at the end of the day maybe it's all related, but I can't seem to figure it out

Tuner in Training
    With my S10 I had so many issues too. Cracked intake manifold, leaks galore that never seemed to go away etc. Found a missing collector bolt near my wide band too after pulling the motor due to mechanical issues.

Tuned a big cam FBO C5, used the Russk idle configuration and it idles great. Figured ahhh my truck had issues yadayadada

Then this S2000, and.......dogshit. Back to square one.

Tuner in Training
    Is the concern just the low RAF numbers, or are there other issues? Setting my Idle Spark Advance to match my Main Spark Advance table at the correct cylinder airmass really stabilized my timing, which helped stabilize my idle. I also more than halved my Overspeed and Underspeed tables to try to minimize swings. I see almost 15* timing swings in that log. At this point my swings at idle are pretty much no more than 2-3*

So there are a couple of things.

First off if you are tuning in Speed density, you need to set the P0101-0103 to fail on first error. Verify you have a DTC code and check engine light to show you are in Speed Density.

Second off, the log you provided is heavily contaminated with Rear O2 test (commanded 12.41 then 15.57) need to wait till complete or disable.

Thirdly the Engine cylinder volume is not correct for a 5.3 litre

Were the Fans enabled? that will throw off the value. Disable the fans through the VCM control when doing the russ K as well as AC off.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    I'll fix the MAF codes right away, I just assumed 2nd fail was okay.

The commanded 02 was all messed up as it was a Flex fuel ecu defaulting to 12.41 with no sensor connected. I fixed that in a later file.

I will fix cylinder volume. Again, assumed it was irrelevant.

Fans are controlled through the Honda harness. My theoretical way to tune them is to match the temp they turn on, and adjust the airflow "modifier" for the fans. I obviously have not done that yet, but plan to.

I was looking over the file tonight, and I don't think I 0'd out ST Adapt Airflow Max, will that cause my issue?

Thank you Mowton for your input