Thread: Completely Green

Tuner in Training

Completely Green

So, I am going to step into the world of tuning...maybe. My HP tuner should be here tomorrow, but I am completely new to this.

The reason I have decided to try this is simple. I am on the middle of an LS swap. Putting an '02 LM7 5.3 into and '87 swb. It's all hooked up but truck starts, run a couple seconds then dies. I'm guessing VATS are still in place which they were suppose to be flashed out. So initially I am going to use it for that and a base tune to get it running.

The question is, where do I get the base tune from? Is that what comes with my credits when I select a vehicle is the OEM tune?

Thanks in advance!

The stock file is your BASE tune.

Hook up the MPVI to the obd2 port, read the file from the computer, then you can licence it with 2 of the 8 credits you have.

Save it then don't change anything on it, don't write over it or anything. Any changes you make change the name on the file so you always have something to go back too. So if you want to remove VATS, disable it in the tune and save it under a new name. Then you can write the tune to the computer and it may start and run.

Also under EDIT set the view to "advanced" so you can see everything.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    But how do I know the tune that is currently on the ECm is the stock tune and not something someone messed with?

You can download a stock tune from the repository on your HPT customer page that matches the combo/computer you are running.

Then once you have your file from the computer you can open it without spending your 2 credits, then click the compare feature and compare your file to the stock one you downloaded from the repository. You can look for anything different between the two there.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. Thanks for the help.