Thread: E38 6.0 engine conversion no start

Tuner in Training

E38 6.0 engine conversion no start

Hi Guys,
    I am in the final stages of an engine conversion (2006 6.0 litre from VZ commodore SS into a 2005 Rodeo crew cab)
    The loom has been modified by me, but I am not 100% certain it is correct. When I open the scanner, I have no IAT (it is a MAFless tune in the PCM)
    when cranking engine, RPM is displayed on HP gauge Tacho,so I must be on the right track, however I have no injector pulse or spark. this makes me think it may be a VATS related issue??
    As I am new to this, I suspect that I need to make some changes in the tune relating to VATS...
    Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks

It's worth a try to disable the VATS system and see if it starts.

If you have no IAT and the MAF is gone you will need to wire in a new IAT sensor.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I thought that may be the case with the IAT. I will fit a new sensor in the intake pipe.(Thanks!)

Its not clear to me exactly how to disable the VATS in the E38 PCM. I have browsed the forum and cannot find what I need...
    several references are made to turning the system off under system/general and then turning off by changing the setting to off or none.
    When I view my program in the HP scanner, the only option relating to VATS is to relink or change the vin (this is under system/general)
    the only thing I can find in editor is the fuel cut, which I have set to disabled. the clutch switch has also been turned off.
    I did not mention in my first post that I have 12volts to the coils and the injectors, so I believe it is the PCM not driving them for some reason.

Tuner
    Look under the OS button, apply vats patch, be aware though you will need to do a write entire.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have checked under the OS button in the HP editor and the window is blank (?) there is not anything to click on or change at all.
    are you able to suggest how to apply the vats patch? the only reference I can find to VATS at all is in the HP scanner for a VATS relink.
    I have spent time looking on the forum and elsewhere on the web for a solution to this issue and every reference I find makes it sound like it is a few mouse clicks, change VATS to off or disable and do a write entire.however, I cannot find a setting to change... I must be missing something....
    cheers,
    Dave

Make sure you have the VIEW set to advanced under the EDIT tab.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    eureka!! Thanks so much for that. I have found it now. I figured it would be something simple. I will make changes to VATS and write entire.
    I'll report back with my results.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Dave

Tuner in Training
    Changes VATS 1 & 2 to disabled and did write entire. It fired right up!!!
    There are still a bunch of little jobs to tidy up on the wiring, but at least I know what I have done so far is correct.
    Thankyou for the assistance.
    Dave

Tuner
    Good job.

Tuner in Training
    HA! that looks like the dance I did when it fired up!!
    Thanks and I hope this post helps others...

Dave

Potential Tuner
    I am experiencing a similar issue, however I have already applied the VATS patches with no such luck. I have crank and cam signals even injector pulse, but no coil fire. I have 12volts at the coils. This is a customers 57 chevy with an LS3 engine and trans swap. the computer is out of an 08 chevy Silverado with a 5.3L The power train was purchased through Street Performance as a ready to run unit. The car ran when it came to me, but I was unable to read any of the calibrations like it had been locked. Called street performance and they said they had run into this before, something about their system made the hp tuners think it was locked, anyway. Ship it to them, it comes back. I hook upch and I'm in, but no start. He had informed that I would need to turn the VATS off. No big deal. check the boxes in the operating system change the options to "write entire" and still no coil fire. Here is the kicker, I have an 08 Silverado in for other work, for kicks I place the 57's PCM into the truck. Fires right up. I conclude the issue must be in the harness and after checking all of the curcuits I have found nothing out of place. Really in need of a fresh perspective on this.http://www.hptuners.com/forum/images...s/banghead.gif

Double check that your 12v switched inputs to the ecm are staying on while cranking, and also check ground to the coil packs. I was missing a ground to the main coil pack connector. I skipped right over it several times as when I hit it with the multimeter it showed about 12v, seemed like everything was ok just no spark.
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Potential Tuner
    Yes I do have 12volts during cranking and my ground has continuity all the way back to the battery.

Tuner in Training
    I understand you said you have crank & cam signals and injector pulse; did you check these in the HP scanner or with other test gear (like a noid light & spark tester)? I would confirm that those signals are visible in the PCM, via HP scanner "gauges" which should prove that the PCM is getting all the correct signals (and voltages) when cranking. I had around 150 RPM when cranking when mine wouldn't start before I deleted VATS.
    This will sound obvious; but do you have good fuel pressure/supply?
    If all these things are correct then I would agree that it must be a loom issue probably relating to the coils. I guess its like any of these issues, its a process of elimination, and its sounds like you've proven the PCM will run on another engine.
    I am no expert, just offering a "fresh perspective". I'll be interested to hear your findings...

Dave

Potential Tuner
    I did check injector fire with a noide light and coil fire with a spark tester. Also I checked the input/output signals using both the VCM Scanner and my Modis. Both show crank and cam sync signals as well as injector pulse width. All this was checked prior to posting on this thread, verification is a highly stressed protocol in our shop. Don't mean to sound like an ass, just trying to show that I'm not a lazy tech on here hoping someone will solve my problem for me. Oh, fuel pump primes and runs as it normally should, not that it should have anything to do with coil firing signals, but one more item ruled out. Please understand I appreciate every idea put forth. I've fixed a lot of vehicles by starting down a rabbit trail that seemed unrelated at the time. I enjoy the learning journey along the way.

Tuner in Training
    You are crossing a few suspects off the list; which is progress. You have already checked the power and ground circuits for coils; have you checked the "switching wires" from the coils to the PCM to confirm that they are connected correctly and resistance is not too high? I would like to see about 0.2 or 0.3 ohms I reckon from the coils to the PCM.
    (I dont have my wiring diagram handy, but it may be different to yours anyway)
    This might be a crazy idea, but have you tried another set of coils? it would be veeerrrrrry unlikely that all of them would fail but not impossible.
    my thoughts keep coming back to some kind of loom issue as you have proven the PCM will run an engine and you have power/ground, crank/cam signals and injector pulse along with fuel pressure. there is not really much left. Can you bypass switching wires in the loom - even on one coil, just to see if you get spark on that one coil?
    I know what you mean about chasing something seemingly unrelated or unlikely, I've fixed a few things that way too. I'm pretty interested to find out the end result on this one.

Dave

In the scanner try logging Fuel Cut Type, in some cases the Starter diagnostics failing can cause a no start condition due to fuel cut.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone know if this problem was solved??