Thread: e38 problems - map and throttle p0106, 1516, 2101

Tuner in Training

e38 problems - map and throttle p0106, 1516, 2101

Looking for help before going to my HPtuner shop. Its a 2013 ls3, bone stock, except the CAI (maf now in non rem placement - to clear upper radiator hose). Sets off error msgs when letting off the accelerator. Errors: p0106, p1516, p2101

Read this.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ced-code-P1516

It will also need a re-tune because you change the size of the intake and the MAF placement.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I read that thread as well. I realize I need a tune. However, I wanted someone experienced to scan my logs to help determine if they reveal something else that I am not considering (i.e. if the 02 sensors look to be reading the right amount, etc). thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Read this.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ced-code-P1516

It will also need a re-tune because you change the size of the intake and the MAF placement.

Your fuel trims are way high from the screen shots but that's because the MAF has been messed with.

Nobody can really comment further because there is no real data log to view but mostly your problems are because of the intake tube/MAF change.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I looks like your maff should be moved away from the filter. It should be in a strait piece of tubing with about 6 inches in front and behind. I know that might not be possible but, you do the best you can. Go to a site with great information about this it is masterenginetuner.com/home.html It has lots of information on tuning and other things. The guy knows his stuff and is willing to share his knowledge.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Openwheel - the upper radiator hose in the way of the intake necessitated the shop to notch the intake to clear it. The maf was originally mounted closer to the TB, but was only reading 1-3 gps (grams per second of air) at idle. So not reading, and car would barely start. They moved it to its current location, and now it reads 7-8 gps at idle, and starts easily. Will a non stock location of maf and CAI cause the map and TB errors? thanks

I was just looking at your picture and realized that you have a tight 90 degree hose in front of the throttle body. I have never seen that done before and that may be a problem. Putting the maf close to the throttle body is the worst place for it. Close to the filter is the second worst place. I think putting a notch in your intake tube is very bad. The air inside the tube needs to be moving strait and a notch is going to make it tumble. I don't think you will ever get a maf sensor to work correctly in that tube. You will probably have to fail the maf and go speed density.
    You might get errors if the maf is so far out that it doesn't correlate with the ve tables. The ecm uses the two tables as a check for the throttle. If they are too far apart it thinks something is wrong and throws a code and most of the time will go into reduced power.

Advanced Tuner
    first thing i'd do mate is get rid of the alloy intake pipe , what's your I.A.T reading ?...that would produce way too much heatsoak

Tuner in Training
    The alloy intake is not for aesthetics. If you look in the picture closely, you'll see that it was notched to clear the upper radiator hose as there is limited space. When the maf was mounted close to the TB, the maf barely measured any air. I realize its mounted in the "2nd" worst spot, but it is reading 7-8 grams per second of air at this point (which I read was about the norm for a stock ls3). So as a tuner, this intake would inhibit a proper tune? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate lsx tuning View Post
    first thing i'd do mate is get rid of the alloy intake pipe , what's your I.A.T reading ?...that would produce way too much heatsoak

Advanced Tuner
    Have you thought about adding a flow straightener to the intake tube?

I will not do an aftermarket intake system without adding one

Tuner in Training
    Would you use this honeycomb? http://www.saxonpc.com
    And where would you put it (based on my intake pic and where my maf sensor is).
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HackAbuse View Post
    Have you thought about adding a flow straightener to the intake tube?

I will not do an aftermarket intake system without adding one

I've used one from them before and it did help on mine

It needs to be before the MAF--which there really isn't enough room between the filter and MAF with your setup I don't think?

Maybe you can squeeze it in right before the MAF?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    I'd put one 3-6" in front of the MAF.

Tuner in Training
    Since my maf sensor is 3" away from the cone filer, the honey comb will have to sit only a few inches away from the maf sensor. That should make the flow more laminar? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HackAbuse View Post
    I'd put one 3-6" in front of the MAF.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by charofire View Post
    Since my maf sensor is 3" away from the cone filer, the honey comb will have to sit only a few inches away from the maf sensor. That should make the flow more laminar? thanks
    Without a doubt. You can experiment by placing it in different locations, then log and graph MAF Hz. You should see nice smooth transitions on the MAF, if it's jumping around, you have turbulence