Thread: Thinking about buying a Tech 2

Advanced Tuner

Thinking about buying a Tech 2

Never used one. Didn't really plan on buying one either...cause I have no aspirations of tuning professionally, or doing anything to cars - professionally.... I have a good job.

But now my dealer is pissing me off. Plus, it's a logistical nightmare to get my daily to the dealer, and half the times I do, they play dumb with updates.

So if I did get myself one of these Tech 2's, I understand I also need to get a subscription to SIS. One time, daily, monthly or longer... Not real sure how that process works. I'm fumbling around the web site now.

And does it matter how old the device is, if I buy one that's used? I'm not looking to get a knock off from off shore either, but a genuine GM device. Are there options/features I should be looking for?

If I had the device, what next? I know, really dumb question to ask for anyone who knows this stuff.... It's not something I have any experience with.
    When arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing....

Tuner in Training
    It would probably be much cheaper to buy a J2534 pass thru from some place like drew technologies and use that and a laptop if you are mainly getting it for programming modules. Then you wont be limited to just GM. i use one daily and it works well. You will still need the subscription thru gm, ford or whatever brand you are doing at the time. Most offer short term (24-72 hrs), monthly and annual subscriptions.
    ASE Advanced Level Master certified Tech with 20+ yrs

Tuning Addict
    Tech 2's are nice, but can't be used on anything newer than a 13ish if memory serves and they do give cable problems... DO NOT buy a knock off - had more money in my knock off then I do my actual GM tech2 and it just recently fried a capacitor during power up - now it's spare parts

If your focus is only GM - buy a MDI 2... You can load a virtual tech 2 onto your computer and use it if a tech 2 is still necessary and just use your MDI...

You can go the J2534 route if your interested in more than GM, but I've found you still can't and won't have access to a dealer level setup - all you can access is the aftermarket shop level stuff - basic re-flashes and diagnosis - still won't allow in depth re-flashes or diagnosis level access... Gotten hung up a couple of times with Fords because of that

With the introduction of the MDI2, you might be able to find a regular MDI cheap enough?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks! I will look into the MDI2. I stumbled onto a used T2 with a bunch of extras for $1200 and almost bought it on impulse. Thought I would ask for input before buying it. I have a 2015 truck, so I need something that I can use for that. I had assumed the T2 would work with the 2015. Good thing I asked.

Tuning Addict
    No 15' has to use GDS program with a MDI... If you get a MDI, give me a shout
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    What the heck is with the software and subscriptions??? You can't use the tool unless the subscription is current?? And to be current, you have to buy one of the subscription terms? For some reaon or other I was thinking you only needed the subscription to get updates.

So I buy the MDI-2: $750 - https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-U...KU=EL-52100-AM
    Then before I can use it, I have to buy a subscription to one of the SIS software packages; 2 days / 3 days / 1 month / 3 month / 1 year.... https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

This is looking less attractive than it was yesterday.
    When arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing....

Tuning Addict
    Either way you have to purchase subscriptions... PM sent

~Greg Huggins~

If I understood correctly, with MDI/MDI2 to be able to do any diagnose work, you'll have to pay for time of use: http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/sh...ogram/tis2web/

With Tech2, even though it only works up to 2013, you can use it as much you like.

SPS programming costs always.

I have both a Tech 2 and a MDI. Had them for a few years. Basically the Tech 2 generally works upto 2012. It's old technology, the PCMCIA cards are crap and it's a dime a dozen getting one that works properly. Updating it is a pain, the Tech 2 is really old technology that's best used on Windows XP with a Serial Port. I personally use a VM Based XP on a Tablet with converters....... not the best but it works.

I also have an MDI, it's more a of a 'work in progress' with it's software. This also performs Tech 2 tasks with a Tech 2 Emulator. But it's not a Tech 2, some things it's easier just to have a proper Tech 2.

The MDI does 2012 forward mostly. Problem with knock off MDI's you get out of China, you have to make sure you run a specific version of the MDI driver or it will either not work or say it's unsupported etc. Eventually the knock off's wont work after GM bans them.

They are both fairly cheap to buy.......... and saves you alot of money diagnosing and fixing cars. I've done complete upgrades to all the car's computers and relinked them, done door fobbing and the rest. There are no guide books on how to use them.

But they are handy once you realise what they can do.
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.