Thread: Spark issue with ZL1 Camaro ?

Tuner in Training

Spark issue with ZL1 Camaro ?

Tuned this zl1 camaro with long tubes, rotofab intake, bosch 850s, pulley, and ported throttle body. Everything was fine on the dyno with AFR around 11.5 at WOT. No issues so to speak. Now the guy says the car is breaking up and sent me some logs. Its showing some knock activity then going into negative spark at WOT. I don't know what direction to point him in. Car ran flawless for 6+ months. Seems like a mechanical issue, but what. On this latest log I added some fuel just to test, but its still doing weird stuff at WOT. Log and tune attached. Let me know if you guys see anything. Thanks!

r18.hpl

Dave zl1 r18.hpt
    Last edited by schpenxel; 08-04-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Have him log every advance/retard parameter he can find.. one will stand out pretty quick I bet.

Start with knock. You have some huge knock counts. Log all timing. MAF is also not calibrated for your CAI. AFR gets to 12s under boost. Last thing near the end of the log it says 255KPA of manifold pressure with 22lbs of boost. I doubt it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jsllc; 08-04-2016 at 09:50 AM.

What is weird is I really don't see anywhere in the log where knock is that high when looking over a chart of knock retard..

But the knock retard graph I'm using looks about as bad as the one you posted, shows 16+* in some spots

Weird.

Maybe I just missed it when I was flipping through the log
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    so im seeing zero ACTUAL KR but total KR in 17 degree range, not once in the log did I notice actual KR. thinking you have burst KR or something else triggering it. obviously that would be why you are seeing negative timing. not in the range of -15 though, Burst KR would put you in the zero range. looks like you made high and low octane tables the same so this car has nothing to reference when it actually does see real KR...just an observation.
    Last edited by JBZ; 08-04-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

There were some spots with knock.. just nothing like the numbers in the graphs are showing for some reason? Weird

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    There were some spots with knock.. just nothing like the numbers in the graphs are showing for some reason? Weird
    yeah and total KR is super high when no real KR is shown...it is weird
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuner
    Is this car currently running the same tank of fuel since this all started? This is the same problem on another ZL1. His was all stock. It ended up being crappy California 91 octane fuel. He went round and round with the dealer for quite a while with popping, pinging and logging lots of knock with dash logic. They finally tested the fuel and said it wasn't good. He had his car professionally tuned on Calif. gas and solved that problem. I thought of him when I saw this post. You described his same problem to the T.

RPS Twin Carbon Clutch
    Kook's Headers
    Ported Supercharger
    Cold Air Inductions cai
    ID850's
    GPTuning 2.5 Cam
    9.1 Lower 2.5 Upper

Tuner in Training
    Just an update, looks like this is a clogged kooks cat.