Thread: e10 or 100% gasoline

e10 or 100% gasoline

Not 100% tuning related but whats better e10 (pump gas) or 100% gasoline. For sake of topic both fuels 93 octane.
    My guess is e10 in modern vehicles like our coyotes due to the cooler burn of ethanol.
    Educate me folks!

Advanced Tuner
    I like E10 personally.

To me they are the same. I just don't see how such a small percentage of ethanol in the fuel would make one any better or produce a significant amount of power over the other.

In my state of Minnesota all gas stations carry fuel that is up to 10% E content and the amount that actually have E10 is pretty slim. I know the fuel comp sensor in my truck is not "real" but it never changes more than 2-3% no matter where I fill up. It always stays around 5-7%. I could buy E0 premium at a select few stations but it's not worth the extra cost to me. I don't even change my stoich settings in my tunes because the percents are so low.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

My thoughts behind it exactly.. I prefer e10 due to the theory behind it. However someone may know more about the science behind it.. always thirsty for knowledge lol.

Senior Tuner
    Ethanol contains less energy density compared to gasoline. This is why you get a fuel mileage hit when using it. E85 is about 25% less energy per gallon. The benefits come from a cooler more complete burn. It also allows for more aggressive timing because of its high octane rating. So when comparing 100% gas to something like e10 at the same octane rating you are probably better off with the 100% gas for the absolute maximum power. Once you start using more than 50% ethanol it comes down to the tuning of the engine and engine specifications.