Thread: New Tune Assistance HELP

Potential Tuner

New Tune Assistance HELP

Looking for help, new tuner with limited experience. I tried to build a base starting tune from the forums and repository but the truck is still reacting odd to any changes. Here are the details:

2001 5.3
    706 ported heads, larger intakes
    1900 tvs blower-ported case and snout
    102mm NW TB
    ZL1 lid
    Stock CTSV injectors
    2 bar MAP

Starting the truck, regardless of ECT, the engine will idle high and erratic. Often hanging around 1700 rpm, if I touch the throttle the RPM's will just hang until I shut if down with the key. Please help me and review the log and tune, I am really struggling why its reacting this way. Timing jumps way up, O2's are erratic. Seems like the MAP is mis-behaving, should I be dropping pressure with a PD supercharger?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Alright,

This morning I tried a few things with limited success until I modified the Idle in Park timing table. I dropped most of the values down to 7 degrees or so and the truck started and idled under 1000 RPMS for the first time. Then I went to drive and there was a radical flare in RPMS then it calmed down. Best I can tell, the MAP is showing the computer that the engine is under vacuum since it goes from 102 kpa key on engine off to anywhere between 40-75 kpa engine running. Is the MAP reading the wrong way or am I just losing my mind? Shouldn't I go up from 102kpa once it runs being supercharged?

Attached is another scan from this morning when I removed timing.Spark reduced in Park table, SHift from PtoD.hpl

Set your MAF fail high to zero, and all 3 MAF dtc's to first error. Do this because I can only assume you are running without a MAF sensor and this is a 2 bar OS setup.

Whatever you did to the idle timing is now making it run negative timing. Do you have a wideband for this setup?

You need to finish your primary VE table too. You'll have to put the 200kpa value into the table and interpolate down to 100kpa, then tuning from there will give it a better curve than just a straight shot up if you were look at it on the 3D map. Your boost gauge if you had/have one would be showing MAP in/hgs aka vacuum.

0-100 kpa is no boost, anything above 100kpa is positive boost pressure. It's always going run anywhere from 20-90ish kpa out of boost and depending on throttle input and so on.

There is a idle tuning thread around here somewhere that you can look for to help you get thing to idle better, then you can start fixing your primary VE table and get it driving good out of boost. After that you could start tuning for when you are in boost.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I disabled the DTC's however I do not seem to have the MAF fail high option, I assume because I have the 2 Bar OS now? I do have a wideband installed I just haven't connected it to the scanner yet, I was going to get there once the truck was drivable for VE tuning.

If I remove timing the truck seems to idle better, if I use a stock 5.3 timing table then it will idle at 1700.

Engine diag > Airflow > MAF fail high hz.

Make sure it's in advanced view.

Running negative timing isn't going to good in the long run, I see glowing exhaust manifolds if the fuel is starting on fire after TDC. It's not really the timing table that is the whole problem, it's the huge ass throttle body that you installed and it's still perhaps running the stock base running airflow tables and idle settings for a stock 80 something MM throttle body.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I only dumped the negative timing in to verify it would change with commands. Obviously the TB is large, I get that (It was a good deal, maybe not a good idea). Can you help me understand what tables need to be manipulated to compensate for the larger TB and forced induction at idle?

Just curious..Did you adjust your ETC Area Scalar for the over-sized TB.?