Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intermitent idle surge sometimes stall nee help

Tuner in Training

intermitent idle surge sometimes stall nee help

installed a lq4 with 223 232 115 custom grind cam in my 06 Silverado has mp112 3.2 pulley runnin 5 to 6 lbs boost also had headers had exact same setup on my 4.8 but no cam everything runs great except a idle surge will sometimes get as bad as 300 to 1200 rpm supposed to be 750 ive searched a lot and tried a lot I'm not too experienced with tuning I did my 4l80e segmentswap and tuning myself and few other things I actually had a pro dyno tune this thing does great wot afr is 11.3 just the surging I had him try to fix it but no luck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I'm pretty sure its tune related but also open to mechanical issues I mean maybe vaccum leak? ground? everything sounds and runs great

Advanced Tuner
    First of all, you should change the airflow on your proportional and integral idle. But the biggest reason could be your spark over/under speed tables and your VE. Looking at your log, your timing is all over the place.... Get it nailed down so it's a solid 20* or whatever you want, then see if your surging isn't fixed. and fix your VE table. Like around 400-800 rpm and 30-55 kpa....

Advanced Tuner
    As well, any reason you aren't running a custom 2 bar OS and MAP? Based on your tune, you are still running the stock 1 bar MAP sensor, which will not read boost.

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate the input and I'm new to this what I was told is at my horse power level I'm fine with stock mass airflow don't need to go to the to bar and speed density that could be different from what you're talking about please keep in mind I'm fairly new to this there was absolutely no limitations in tuning or issues with my 4.8 and 11 pounds of boost so I didn't think there would be with this lq4 and five pounds of boost I appreciate you taking your time to respond what would be the exact things I would want to log and how would I make the changes I'm not sure if the russk a config will help me but I pretty much only have one chance a day to have my truck be cold and data log

Tuner in Training
    Also was wondering what exactly you meant by fix those areas of the ve table I'm looking from 400 to 800 RPM at 35 kPa it's 53 + 59 do you mean lower it or what

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyboi925 View Post
    Appreciate the input and I'm new to this what I was told is at my horse power level I'm fine with stock mass airflow don't need to go to the to bar and speed density that could be different from what you're talking about please keep in mind I'm fairly new to this there was absolutely no limitations in tuning or issues with my 4.8 and 11 pounds of boost so I didn't think there would be with this lq4 and five pounds of boost I appreciate you taking your time to respond what would be the exact things I would want to log and how would I make the changes I'm not sure if the russk a config will help me but I pretty much only have one chance a day to have my truck be cold and data log
    Never said anything about speed density or MAF...
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyboi925 View Post
    Also was wondering what exactly you meant by fix those areas of the ve table I'm looking from 400 to 800 RPM at 35 kPa it's 53 + 59 do you mean lower it or what
    Your VE is like a roller coaster

Tuner in Training
    You are right like I said I'm new to this and the only time I've heard anything about the two bar is when somebody told me to go to speed density in my situation I would not use MAF anymore and I would use a two bar map sensor or something like that so that's what I thought you were saying all I know is no matter what changes I make the problem is the exact same to me the truck runs great perfect AFR at wide open throttle no other issues I can see literally just if I give it gas and let out sometimes the idol will hunt until it either smooth out or stalls it's happened at 20 mph before when I gave the pedal a love tap to hear it Roar and then died pulling in the parking lot but it mostly happens at the low parking lot speeds it'll even happen if I pull up to a red light coasting into it I know you've already told me a few ways that could fix it but I'm still confused on what exactly I need to do I understand the tables you're talking about I just don't understand if I should try a lower or higher value or how to come up with the proper value what would you recommend doing with the ve table

Tuner in Training
    I'm sure the information that you've given would have already fixed the problem for a lot of people that know little bit more but like I said for me I kind of need my hand held or to be walk through it at least some sort of way to find the value or recommend going down 10% or up 10% something like that

Tuner in Training
    ok the lq4 named tune was the1st dyno tune and 1 tune was same tuner trying to fix issues and all the changes mad no difference

Advanced Tuner
    It's easy to make a motor run at 6000.... A real tuner can make it idle correct at 500, or wherever it needs to be.

Tuner in Training
    yes i completly agree is there any way you could walk me through the changes you would make to see if it makes a difference I really need help I've tried everything mechanical to make sure it wasn't the problem and now I'm just left with the tune obviously I already paid for the tune and had and try to fix it and still no luck please

Tuner in Training
    Whatever you say to change and what to change it to I will do it I just want to see a difference I understand if you don't have the time but if you do I'd really appreciate it I can appreciate if you can't get it perfect and not having the vehicle in front of you but if you can help me make it better that be so awesome

Tuner in Training
    any advice on what exactly what to do would be great

Potential Tuner
    Try
    Engine-Idle-RPM-Proportional
    Raise the Enable RPM Error from 25 to 5000
    blip the throttle to see if rpm stops dropping to low,I had the same problem and that fixed it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose tappet View Post
    Try
    Engine-Idle-RPM-Proportional
    Raise the Enable RPM Error from 25 to 5000
    blip the throttle to see if rpm stops dropping to low,I had the same problem and that fixed it.
    No. This is not the issue and should never be done, even on rigs with a proportional idle issue...

Advanced Tuner
    Come on, man. This is basic stuff that I told you to fix. I don't have time to teach you, even then, I'm not going to do it for you. Did you even look at your VE after I told you exactly what to fix?

Tell you what. Email me your file and paypal me $150, which is what I charge for mail order tunes. I'll fix it. PM for details

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    Come on, man. This is basic stuff that I told you to fix. I don't have time to teach you, even then, I'm not going to do it for you. Did you even look at your VE after I told you exactly what to fix?

Tell you what. Email me your file and paypal me $150, which is what I charge for mail order tunes. I'll fix it. PM for details
    yes I look at the ve table immediately after you pointed it out and I have no idea what I'm looking at I don't see any weird inconsistencies in numbers but then again I am not a tuner I bought hptuners to do the segment swap on my truck and did very well with the transmission tuning I don't know shit about the motor tuning that's why I paid somebody to do it Dyno Tuned so I could drive my truck after doing this motor swap I honestly don't even have the money to pay for another tune right now so I understand if you don't have the time to walk me through it or tell me to raise or lower values in a certain place I mean I just spent $400 and kind of got screwed and this was by a tuner that I know who has done a lot of people I know those vehicles I mean if you did fix it I can probably come up with the 1:50 I just don't have 152 give right now on the chance it doesn't get fixed and I realize to you it's basic stuff I don't know if you were just born with the hptuners knowledge or what but if not think about when you first started that's where I'm at I haven't read any tuning books or DVDs I'm just been going off of experience and people showing me the way so I appreciate the information and if you want to try to help me great if you want me to send you the 10 and you want to at least tell me how to fix it even better or if you want to make the changes yourself and it becomes fixed I swear to God I will pay you I know that using hptuners cost money I just can't send you a hundred fifty and then your changes don't fix it and then I'm in the same boat twice

Tuner in Training
    heres a log in 3.0 it surged and died at very end if this helps I do need help please

Tuner in Training
    I am not a tuner I just own hptuners lol some1 who remembers what its like to be in a situation like this please try and help