Thread: Not finding 3.2 very friendly

Not finding 3.2 very friendly

I've used HPT for 10 years. I just "upgraded" to 3.2 and am finding it's like I'm starting all over building configurations and navigating the maze of options. For instance when trying to open the idle RAF config it says that some things may not have converted. . . ya, like everything that made it display and work. It took a lot of reading to get it to use my LC-1 wideband as well as that didn't copy over either. It may be a more versatile build but after 10 years it's like I'm having to start and learn like it was day one.
    2004 GTO Blk/Rd M6 (Ziggy)

Best ET: 12.390 ET, 112.73MPH, 1.819 60ft

Give it some time--there is def. a learning curve but once you're used to it you won't want to go back

Here are some threads to help getting started

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...tarted-Threads
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    thanks. haven't touched my tuner for 2 years due to some health issues so I downloaded the latest software and nothing is the same. the threads you referenced are a big help.

I will add, as a brand new HPT user, I find basic info burdensome. I am a mechanical engineer by education. I am usually comfortable around complex systems, and I have worked product designs with documentation. So, I don't think it's me. I spend hours reading and googling simple stuff. I don't like asking simple Qs, but find I finally surrender and post noob qs.

A good example is setting up a WB in the scanner. I first go to the "stickies" BC that's usually the advice. I found well written instructions by schpenxel whom I've come to know as a master of tune and HPT. I tried his multi step process to set up my LC-2 and couldn't even get to the third step BC nothing I was doing looked like his screen shots. Turns out I was looking at a stickie written in 2008 for v2. Right now there are stickies on VCM suite general that were started in 2007, 2006, one of which says"Before posting to ask for help, please read this first".

Seems like a cleanup and consolidation of helpful info is in order. I do like the "sense of community" of a forum, but I don't like continually asking Qs that a lot of users probably roll their eyes....and, I am determined to "get there" one way or another!

I'll try to clean those old stickies up. They should at least be broken into a "V2.x" sticky and "V3+" sticky so it's less confusing I think
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I know HPT's plate is pretty full all the time but it was many months ago that they said they would create new how to's or more help files to get people up to speed for a big change in 3.0+ software.

Like said, mostly everything you google or search for will be from V2.XX and to new user everything will just not make much sense at all. It's great that a few members have put their time into making helpful guides so far but I still think it should be somewhat of a priority to get more helpful information up. Everything has changed so much since the 2.24 and new users are just so lost sometimes. Reading through 50+ pages of posts in certain threads could just confuse them even more. Please don't take what I'm saying as bad, HPT has been awesome and is fast to solve issues and give their support, it's just that it's been such a long time still waiting on smaller things like this.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Carson, a thought about that - Why have any old stickie info about V2 posted anymore? Seems to me that anyone still using v2 will be a seasoned user. If they've move to v3; or, in the case of noobs like me, we're not going to start with 2.

Consider doing like Microsoft has done...and just pull the plug. If there is a straggler out there still using 2 and something really is throwing them for a loop, they can post a Q. Just a suggestion.

I very much do like self-help first, so I don't go running to post dumb Qs BC I'm lazy. A simple example is the IDs of the MPVI connector. I researched that one for hours trying to ID pin 1 and pin 8 and their respective paths. I couldn't find anything on HPT or google, so had to post the Q.
    Last edited by StopGap; 10-21-2016 at 08:06 PM.

As much as they get lauded for telling folks to turn off PE when tuning... there are a few Youtube videos from the Tuning School on setting up a user defined WB with HPTuners Pro. Actually helps by showing the pin set and how to hook up, in this case, a WEGO IV... but should be similar for any WB.. Also shows the software setup... Just FYI..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2E_4_RHebU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMalD15mOg4

For some people...Reading doesn't help...But, visualizing something that they can follow makes all the difference....
    Last edited by Jggregory99; 10-25-2016 at 08:26 PM.
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!