Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help, i have no idea what im doing, no seriouly please help before i kill it!!

Tuner in Training

Please help, i have no idea what im doing, no seriouly please help before i kill it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2DR7XnSdtE&list=F LSE8MxLQpMx3rOGIraRP3cA

105994 BRA IGN BASE IDLECOR PE MAF HALLTECH CHOPPY SMOOTH2.hpt20160728HALLTECH SMOOTH2WRK-HM.hpl

2002 ZO6 24K on chassis, freshened up motor (long story), TSP 228/232 .600 112lsa, Hinson long tubes, B&B, ported 243 heads, manley valves, double springs. Runs and drives fine. idles and starts with even touching to gas pedal. but something isn't right, as it RPM's doesn't seem to have the big end pull I had in my 2001 couple with MS3 and Kooks. plus I have no idea what I'm doing.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    pe delay should be lowered to roughly 2500 so you can actually add fuel under wot below your current rpm limit of 5500
    and try activating the throttle pe tps signal around 80-85 % for safety....you can come in later and set the sensitivity of the pe engagement.
    if it wasnt for your pe delay factor you would be commanding your initial in at 2500 which has a value request of ~12.58 afr and 12.1 afr on the top end. try running 12.7 afr by 3k and run 12.5 afr by 5k and use the interpolate feature between those 2 points to get a nice graph
    you use this table as a ve target table. *do not adjust it to change your WOT AFR* that is done through ve and maf adjustments. The afr values mentioned above are very general figures regarding N/A gasoline engines. Best to find the exact values on a dyno.
    hpthelp2.png

another reason your probably running weaker is due to your spark main tables. the high and low octane tables for base tuning purposes should match each other. what happening now is the computer runs high octane until it sees "X" amount of kr activity then it switches to the low octane table where it sits there until either the ecu is reset via flash or the fuel tank level sending unit makes "Y" amount of range increase at which point the computer decides the tank was filled and tries the high octane table out again.
    there is quite a list of stuff that gets turned off when setting a base tune file up. i suggest reading posts on SD tuning and WOT adjustments.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 07-28-2016 at 09:51 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Thanks brother, ill try to figure this out. Thank you again for the response!!!

Tuner in Training
    IMG_2233.jpg
    IS THE THE pe tps signal I need to bump up to 85% at what point or do I do the whole thing

Tuner in Training
    tps.jpg

sorry I mean this one

The short of it before even dealing with WOT run or any of that is to re-tune the whole primary VE table and MAF curve for the mods done to this engine. You can see your LTFT are pretty high all the time meaning it needs work to both those tables.

Once that is done you can start with WOT fueling/spark changes. I'd recommend a wideband for doing all of this.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks so much, both of y'all really. I'm computer iliterate as well as never tuned a car. But I know what they should run like I think. I will definitely need some help with VE and MAF. The MAF table I have now I just copied of the repository from some one with a haltech that's all. And the VE from another car that has a similar cam but no head work. I used the HP tuners you tube video to get it to idle. The PE stuff that cobalt said made a huge improvement on seat of the pants feel. And it was a beast in a 3rd gear pull. I'll upload in a bit. Thanks again you guys are awesome, and I really appreciate all the help you guys can throw my way.

Tuner in Training

this is what happpened

help3.hpl
    so I went to the % TPS thing and didn't quite understand. so at 2400 I put it 85% the interpolated from there to left then to right. this log is the result.

One other thing, you are out of injector. It's maxing the duty cycle hard.

Even with the correction needs for the VE and MAF table, it's likely not going to bring it down past 85-90% duty cycle and be the "safe" zone for injector limit. But I could be wrong, it's possible that it's stupid rich with the copied tables you used and correcting everything will bring it down to safe level but it's a long shot in my eyes.

This is where the wideband is a must.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    One other thing, you are out of injector. It's maxing the duty cycle hard.

Even with the correction needs for the VE and MAF table, it's likely not going to bring it down past 85-90% duty cycle and be the "safe" zone for injector limit. But I could be wrong, it's possible that it's stupid rich with the copied tables you used and correcting everything will bring it down to safe level but it's a long shot in my eyes.

This is where the wideband is a must.
    So how do I go about correcting it. What data do I use to get the input/adjust the VE or MAF. Other than a wide and at this point.

Advanced Tuner
    I think what 5fdp is saying is, you don't have big enough injectors for your setup. Are they stock injectors? If so.. They don't flow enough.

Advanced Tuner
    You will likely need to purchase and install larger fuel injectors

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by HackAbuse View Post
    You will likely need to purchase and install larger fuel injectors
    Which means I'll probably have to buy a bigger pump to keep...you guys are full of good news. HaHa

But in the mean time she can go the 8 mile trip to and from work with the computer dealing with that. What can I adjust to help that out for now. Thanks again.

This link is what tuning the VE and MAF table is involve. It's more or less just showing you what steps are taken but not a huge amount the reason behind it. That is stuff you can read up on.

The basics are that the intake, cam, head, exhaust change the air flow through the engine, the stock calibration is made for a stock motor of course. So the upgrades now make those table incorrect and they require adjustment to bring things back in line. You tune the VE table the MAF curve seperate and then combine them back together like the factory does to achive good drivability. I know there are many other threads or other websites that do good jobs at explaining things.

http://michigansnowmobiler.com/hptun...ons%20rev2.pdf

Tuner in Training

this is the tune i have now with the PE adjustments

105994 BRA IGN BASE IDLECOR PE MAF HALLTECH CHOPPY SMOOTH2HELP.hpt

, the log i posted last night was from this tune

Tuner in Training
    awesome, looks like a long read but ill do it. Thanks again.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    fyi, if you purchase the gm injectors from fuel injector clinic or injector dynamics, they will come with the data you need to enter into the ecu. Helps out a lot when tuning fuel tables.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    thanks for that

Tuner in Training
    so when you see the LTFT go to 11-14, is that rich or is that lean, and if so how do I correct it on the VE. do I add the value to it or do I subtract. what value from scan can I use to adjust the VE.

Tuner in Training
    mainside.hpl

also I have a lot of miss fire counts at idle but not while driving.
    Last edited by 2002ZO6HDSandCAM; 07-30-2016 at 12:51 AM.