Thread: Getting Ready to Log for First Tune

Potential Tuner

Getting Ready to Log for First Tune

I have a 09 Avalanche 5.3 that ate the factory cam. So it got a cam/spring upgrade and longtubes. I have HP tuners pro and got my PLX wideband wired up and have run some test runs. Everything seems to be working. Now I've been reading lots of getting started threads about copying one VE table to another or maxing tables to basically (in my understanding) isolate a single system so that you can tune one table at a time without interference from some other system. Some of these have been Gen 3 related so I know there are some differences. So far I have copied my high octane timing table to my low octane, adjusted idle speed and removed some (most) torque management. Next should I just unplug my MAF and command closed loop through the scanner to get my first run or is there something else that I need to do?

Thanks in advance...I've already learned a ton reading through all of the info in these threads.

Unplugging the MAF would also unplug the IAT sensor and you'd have more problems because it would read -40 intake temps all the time.

You can fail the MAF in the tune if you are trying to tune the vehicle in speed density to adjust your VVE tables because of the camshaft change.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks 5FDP. I read somewhere they were unplugging the MAF to tune VE tables. So I won't do that ... but I've been reading the thread about the Camaro with a cam and MAF only tuning, but tuning the VVE table first and then moving to MAF tuning is the more ideal way to complete the tune, correct? ... or am I making this more difficult than it needs to be?

I'd fail MAF first and do VE (or VVE) first

Then go to MAF only and do that

It is not uncommon for people to leave them one way or the other BUT even in "MAF only" mode VVE data is still referenced during quick throttle changes.. so it needs to at least be in the ballpark regardless IMO
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    Will zeroing MAF Airflow vs Output Frequency work to disable the MAF?

Not by itself.

You can set it all to 0 just to be sure it isn't being used (car shouldn't run with it all 0 if it's actually being used)

-Set MAF table(s) to all 0
    -Set MAF fail high to 1hz (engine diag-->airflow)
    -Set DTC's for MAF to MIL on first error

Start car, check for MAF code
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for being patient with me. Thanks to your help I have a file ready to dump into the ECM. Then I'll go for a drive and get to work on the VVE table.