Thread: spark interupt system ideas needed

spark interupt system ideas needed

Hey all- Ive got a lm7 5.3 in my boat using a 411 ecu.
    i need to setup a way to momentarily cut 4 cylinders as i pull the engine out of gear. the mercruiser shift plate has a switch which in its original setup would kill power to the coil.
    Is there anyway i can interface this switch into the ecu to get this up and working?
    cheers.
    Glenn
    Bertram 23 Flybridge
    Chev 5.3LS swapped and going well

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Clutch input ignition retard?

ooh.. interesting where can i find more details on this? (searching now)
    Bertram 23 Flybridge

I'm not sure you can but you may be able to. Just a thought I had.

ahh yep all good.
    My current way of thinking is to simply place a momentary cutout switch on the shift plate that as i shift from drive to neutral will simply kill the 12v supply to 4 of the coils momentarily.
    This would probably cause the ecu to throw a code but am i right in thinking i can simply disable that code?
    good/ bad idea?
    Bertram 23 Flybridge

you could simply splice a switch inline of the pink wire thats going into the coil pack harness. In all of the GM harnesses that I've worked on the pink wire is switched 12v that comes on with the key. You could wire this into a 5 pin relay so it will only cut the power when the relay is powered on. That would give you the cut that you would need.

I don't know much about boats buy why do you need to cut the power then you put it into gear? another option would be to set the timing very low at idle so it would always be low on power until you rev it up a little?
    2001 V6 M5 firebird: drop in K&N, 12bolt with posi and 4.30s, magnaflow muffler, gutted cat.
    9.5 at 73 in the 1/8th on street tires

Can you post tune and I'll see if I can come up with some kind of either ignition retard or torque reduction. I'm looking at a 2000 camaro bin and seeing a maximum torque table and it lists park/neutral so you could reduce torque to 0 maybe. Or you could bring up your minimum tps for main sparks table and bring down the timing in your idle table.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i used an ssd relay and a 555 timer chip with a switch (clutch, tension, button) and programmed the 555 timer to allow a specific disable time. set coil codes to NER.
    worked on the ecotec engines may work for you. You could also run it without the timer but doing so may keep the coils off so long you get a massive backfire and the engine run conditions wont be very desirable after re-enable until it clears back out. setup is very similar to a NLS setup.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by smallblock500 View Post
    you could simply splice a switch inline of the pink wire thats going into the coil pack harness. In all of the GM harnesses that I've worked on the pink wire is switched 12v that comes on with the key. You could wire this into a 5 pin relay so it will only cut the power when the relay is powered on. That would give you the cut that you would need.

I don't know much about boats buy why do you need to cut the power then you put it into gear? another option would be to set the timing very low at idle so it would always be low on power until you rev it up a little?
    apparently the way the gears are cut require unloading of the drive when pulling out of gear into neutral or reverse to avoid excessive wear or destruction of the gears.
    Bertram 23 Flybridge

Bertram boat tune

Quote Originally Posted by RandomEnthusiast View Post
    Can you post tune and I'll see if I can come up with some kind of either ignition retard or torque reduction. I'm looking at a 2000 camaro bin and seeing a maximum torque table and it lists park/neutral so you could reduce torque to 0 maybe. Or you could bring up your minimum tps for main sparks table and bring down the timing in your idle table.
    Solace Speed density upgrade latest.hpt
    Bertram 23 Flybridge

Would using a momentary switch connect to the park/in gear terminal work if I pulled ignition timing in the corresponding map?
    Would that unload the engine enough or am I lost
    Bertram 23 Flybridge

Could you use a shifter knob with a built in momentary switch and a relay to cut power to a bank of cylinders? That way it would run on 4 cyls as requested above.I`m sure it would set a code for the power interruption, but the code should be made to no cel/no report.
    Here is a link to a trans brake knob.
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...0with%20switch