Thread: Changing laptop. What do I need to know?

Tuner

Changing laptop. What do I need to know?

I'm new to using HPtuners. I'm looking at updating to a new laptop because the current one is so slow, so is there anything I need to know about the product application keys first?
    What I'm trying to say is where are the keys stored? In my current laptop or in the mpvi itself? Do i have to transfer the key, or do I forfeit the remaining credits?
    I have used 2 Ford credits out of the 8 in the pro starter pack. If I change laptop, will I loose the remaining 6 credits, or will my mpvi get locked, etc?
    Thanks

There is nothing fancy about switching laptops or computers. Install HP Tuners on the new computer and plug the MPVI in, it may ask for a application key that is on your customer page, you can request a new one too I believe if you need it. All the important stuff is on the MPVI and you lose nothing when you go to a new computer. Copy your files to a flash drive and bring them over to the new computer.

I have HP Tuners installed on two different computers with zero problems, never had one issue with losing credits or ever losing the files that I have created. I also have back up files on 2 flash drives.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Awesome, thanks.
    One other question, the instructions say to use a laptop with a fully charged battery to avoid damaging the mpvi. Does that mean it would be unacceptable to use a regular desktop PC instead of a laptop?

If you had a tower/desktop computer close enough to the vehicle I don't see a single problem using it that way to read/write to a vehicle. They say to always make sure the battery is good on a charge or fully charged on the laptop so it doesn't have the risk of shutting off mid-write and harming the MPVI/PCM. I think that answers your question.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Yep that answers that question.
    On another question, is it possible to damage the MPVI due to voltage drop while cranking the engine? Say if you were to stall the engine then restart it while you are using the VCM scanner?

Not that I know of, the car isn't sending power to the mpvi the laptop is.

It's kind of like how else could you determine starting problems or directly off starting problems if you couldn't log with the scanner at any time.

The problem is when you start trying to charge the laptop off of the car's electrical system. Can create some kind of loop that fries one of the chips in the interface.

Ask me how I know...

Low battery in and of itself won't cause problems assuming the computer isn't setup to cut off quickly or shut down USB ports or anything like that..
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    The problem is when you start trying to charge the laptop off of the car's electrical system. Can create some kind of loop that fries one of the chips in the interface.

Ask me how I know...

Low battery in and of itself won't cause problems assuming the computer isn't setup to cut off quickly or shut down USB ports or anything like that..
    Ooops...!!!

Yeah you def. aren't the first.. I did it for months before I fried anything. Haven't done it since though.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    If both laptops are SATA drives, just swap hard drives... Then you don't have to transfer/reinstall stuff...