Thread: Trims work in pn but not in gear

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar

Question Trims work in pn but not in gear

i set a very general SD tune up for my friends truck last night and everything was working fine except i noticed after my flash was done the Fuel trims no longer worked in gear. At idle the fuel trims are active and sweeping like they are supposed to but as soon as the truck hits reverse of drive it goes rich and stops trimming. I had to send him home so i showed him how to force the trims on in the scanner and that works for now until i can get them on.

i left all the closed loop parameters on as we are using the O2 sensors and trims to tune instead of a wideband which is still tied up in shipping. Has anyone else ever ran into this issue before? Im waiting for him to come back over so i can post the tune up here.

2000 Chevy Silverado 6.0 Swap with factory 5.3 computer.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

i flashed a new file in and with the same settings the trims started working again in drive without anything in the scanner being changed. possibly a corrupted file?

we are adjusting followers and crackers to prevent bucking and off brake runaway. before the cam swap the ve table looked very smooth and now it looks like dookie.
    if the followers and crackers are not setup properly can they cause the ve table to be thrown off this bad?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you logging the right graph for using LTFT + STFT to correct the VE??

I think they have a built in one on the scanner now, I only use a wideband to tune VE and MAF on the vehicles I've done.

You are right that the VE looks wrong and that thing sure in a knock monster. Also double check that it's going into speed density, check for a 103 DTC and I never log the MAF pids when tuning SD.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    IMHO no, the follower etc. wouldn't make the VE look like that, thats not a good VE table! Something wrong with logging or something not disabled?? And thats lots of knock, not normal, maybe because the VE's way off...
    99 TA, Texas Speed LS376, PRC heads, 233/239 cam, Fast 92mm, 95mm TB, card style MAF, Tick TR6060, Strange 4.11 12 bolt axle & clutchpack diff, Strano springs/dampers, Vette 18" wheels, Vette disks, CTS-V calipers, 16lb flywheel, long tube headers, no cats.

motor has some valvetrain noise.. the kr never goes away. that being said id like to figure out how to fix the ve to see if that makes the kr subside.

I log the standard SAE ltft and stft for both banks and use the maths function for ltft+stft to log the histogram for ve tuning. this is apparently what it wants based off of trims. it has to be something i did in the tune file.
    im starting to question the installed injectors. Maybe one is struggling in spray pattern. they are stock injectors but i need to get the part numbers to find out exactly which ones they are. I only know they are the truck multi tech connector style.
    we will be getting a wideband its just stuck in shipping at the moment 8(
    thank you for your opinions

Edit: although the VE is slaughtered pretty bad, i do have to say it no longer smells rich and it behaves very well compared to when i got it.