Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just switched to e85 what you think is wrong

Advanced Tuner

just switched to e85 what you think is wrong

I have 55 belair with a 05 4.8L with gt45 turbo setup on it. I have a pull from yesterday that was on pump gas and another one today on straight E85. I can see I am about maxed out on boost with the 60lb injectors but seems like when going to the floor lambda is starting to climb into the danger region. I am not sure if to tell is it a tune issue or have I finally found the limits of the walbro 255 pump. I wasnt planning on having to upgrade to the stealth 340 yet but looks like may have to. Unless just need to change the ve table. Please take a look and see what you guys think. Thanks In advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by badbowtie; 07-18-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if your loosing pressure around where your going lean. That will tell you your answer that you may or may not want to see.
    Your injectors are at 80% duty cycle which is considered max flow on some injectors, not others. Its a good rule of thumb to not go above it. You may still have injector left, and your loosing pressure. Happy tuning.
    Thanks,

Dustin

Advanced Tuner
    Okay when I get home from work today I am going to pull fuel filter loose real quick and make sure it is clean and hook fuel pressure gauge up and go for a drive and see what is going on. I know I may be out of injector but may not be also maybe just pump. I should be about 70 psi with 10 pounds of boost right.

Senior Tuner
    stock pressure is at 58psi then if u are vac/boost ref u will go over that by your amount of boost or if not vac/boost ref then should stay at 58psi, think my 60lb on petrol lasted till bout 600hp so e85 will be less then that but u may get away with it with a decent pump id at least go the 340lph

Advanced Tuner
    stock 255 wont supply enough for those injectors. not by itself

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    it will not supply that kind of power and volume. you need to slab a 400lph on it
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Senior Tuner
    also be careful cos a big pump in the stock assembly dosnt always work i had the walbro 460lph in mine and its flow was restricted and the stock reg couldnt remove enough fuel so was more line pressure also, from what i know now just put a decent fuel system in it from the start and u wont have any issues down the track

Advanced Tuner
    Right know I am using a inline walbro 255. Since I am still using a stock 55 belair fuel tank. I will have to buy a aeromotive stealth fuel pump setup so I can add it in the tank. I am figuring maybe the injectors are maybe not really running 80% just looking like it if I am running out of fuel. I did look at my ve table and 160kpa and 170 kpa section I added little more to the ve table to help it look more smooth out and went for another drive and you can see on both logs when I go above 5300 hundred is when it starts to climb into .80 lambda section. When I look at aeromotive site the biggest setup I see is the 340 setup that says supports 700 supercharged I am not sure if that is on e85 or regular. Then in another section I seen the phantom flex is only good for 550 on e85. I dont want to be limited so soon with upgrading wastegate spring.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by badbowtie; 07-19-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I also have another 255 inline fuel pump that I thought about seeing if I can find the y adapaters to order to maybe plumb both of them in till winter and try to re do the fuel system this winter.

Senior Tuner
    the 255 at 58psi will only support about 500 engine hp using e85 boost at 10psi so depends on your power output, if u had two of them should be fine

Advanced Tuner
    So know I am debating should I buy the y adpaters and the unions I need to run both 255 inline pumps. Or should I just buy the holley 12-1800 inline pump and just feed it with 6 an for the rest of the year and switch feed line this winter to 8 or 10 an. I am going to take a motorcycle cruise sunday to Jegs to pick up which ever way you guys think I should go. Then I have also read were the 12-1800 is basically just 2 of the 255 in one case if that is the case I will do the y's and be about 400 cheaper. I also think If I go with the dual 255 I may go ahead and the feed line from the tank step it up to 8an instead of 6an since feeding both pumps.
    Last edited by badbowtie; 07-22-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Senior Tuner
    the twin should be good and change main line to -8AN u shouldn't need to go bigger then that, maby feed the pumps with a -10 into Y block -6 or -8 to each inlet of pumps

Advanced Tuner
    I see 87.9 total injector duty cycle at 5,724 rpm. My friend, your out of injector, or pressure. You need to up something.
    If your not dropping pressure, your out of injector. You need to put a gauge on it and run it down the street, around 4800, if it looses pressure, you have your answer. If it holds solid pressure until the 5700 mark, your out of injector. Simple as that.
    I say your out of injector, and possibly loosing pressure.
    Thanks,

Dustin

Advanced Tuner
    Wait a second.. I just read this car is boosted on e85... lol... your 100% out of injector... These injectors max out without boost. Time to up your fuel injectors. I myself just got some daetchwerks. Work good....
    WOT im at 49% injector duty cycle, and haven't added boost yet.
    But my injectors are true 53.5lb injectors that can go 94% IDC
    Thanks,

Dustin

Senior Tuner
    think it's s bit of both the single pump won't support it and the 60lb inj may loose there legs up top, e85 is a beast needs to be fed, id u know what hp u are running then u can look at some calculators to see how far the injectors and pump combo can go

Just to possibly add info, I've seen 80lbs on E85 max out around 750-800 whp just as a ball park. Not sure how high this guys wants to go on power. He might be bending rods on that 4.8 by then unless it was otherwise built.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    On pump fuel I only layed down 375hp to the rear wheels I am not sure what I am at just switching to e85. I am aware I will be ready for injectors before I up wastegate spring. I know I am dropping pressure I have confirmed that already with gauge. So injector duty cycle may not be that high if I can get the fuel to it. I am just going to try the two 255 pumps and see if I can make it to lousiville in less than 2 weeks like that and down to ls fest. Depends how it does with that pump setup I will decide what to do with fuel setup and injectors this winter. I am running the stock frp on the rail still am I going to have issues with both pumps feeding it or can I make that work for know.

Senior Tuner
    may be too much for the stock reg, if it's anything like mine when i had the 460lph it pushed pressure up to 75psi but mine was built into the pot which was restrictive also

Advanced Tuner
    Well I just thought about that so should I just try the stock rail regulator setup first with the return line on my fuel rail. If that don't work which regulator setup should I look at?

Senior Tuner
    could give it a go might be lucky, i have a fuelab reg which is good but mine was a return less originally but if yours has a return u might be able to find one that hooks up in same spot that's easy