Thread: ION Adventure camera and embedded GPS data

Potential Tuner

ION Adventure camera and embedded GPS data

I'm trying out the free version (on a Mac).

The video (.mp4) from my ION Adventure has the GPS data embedded (I have validated this using Kinomap.com).

However, racerender doesn't seem to see it and so I cannot select the input for any gauges.

- am I doing something wrong?
    - does the free version have some limitation?

Thanks for any help.

Potential Tuner

Please help

I too have an Ion Adventure Camera and am not happy with Kinomap. If I could see it work better here I will buy in.

Thanks
    Mike

There's no limitation related to this in the free version... The embedded GPS data is most likely just not in a location where we're used to seeing it (or maybe it's not in NMEA format).

Would I be correct in assuming that upon adding the video to a RaceRender project, it does not show you any prompt related to it having embedded GPS data? Or, does it offer to extract the GPS data but then that just doesn't work for some reason?

If you have a way to post the raw video file somewhere that you can link me to (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.), I can take a look and see what we might be able to do to improve this...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    There's no limitation related to this in the free version... The embedded GPS data is most likely just not in a location where we're used to seeing it (or maybe it's not in NMEA format).

Would I be correct in assuming that upon adding the video to a RaceRender project, it does not show you any prompt related to it having embedded GPS data? Or, does it offer to extract the GPS data but then that just doesn't work for some reason?

If you have a way to post the raw video file somewhere that you can link me to (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.), I can take a look and see what we might be able to do to improve this...
    Thanks, yeah, your assumption is correct. I saw no indication from RaceRender that the video had any data in it... The only confirmation that I have that there is GPS data in it is that uploading to kinomap worked as advertised (I'm just not interested in uploading every video I make into the cloud).

The raw footage is linked below. The actual race starts about 16 minutes in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbskylwo5j...X0001.MP4?dl=0

In the event you care to see what the competition is offering, the trimmed footage on kinomap is here:

http://www.kinomap.com/watch/ecv2x7

Thanks again for any help.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by swagracin7741 View Post
    I too have an Ion Adventure Camera and am not happy with Kinomap. If I could see it work better here I will buy in.

Thanks
    Mike
    I just got mine on a killer sale this week and am now attempting to figure out a workflow... RaceRender does seem to be the best product in a pretty weak field.

Potential Tuner
    I put my hacker cap on and took a look at the file with strings (a standard unix utility) and found that the file is full of data like this:

iON Adventure,2016/07/13,00:13:00,43.642264,N,79.606725,W,50.05,104,152. 00,-1,-32,-6,0,0,0,0,0

Looks like there's one like that every second. Guessing that I'm looking at:

label, timestamp (UTC), lat, N/S, long, E/W, speed (km/h), and a bunch of I don't know

Perfect! Thank you for linking the video. The data looks pretty identifiable and usable, so we'll have it supported in the very next update to RaceRender (will be version 3.4.4)...

The only complication I'm seeing so far is that the GPS might not always have a fix until a little after the video starts, in which case you'd need to use the Synchronization Tool to align the data timing to match the video. That could happen with most other GPS-enabled cameras as well, and shouldn't be much of a problem here.

Potential Tuner
    Happy to see the prompt service......I just paid for the Ultimate Edition, because of it.

Looking foward to using it, Thanks
    Mike

Thank you! RaceRender 3.4.4 was released this afternoon: http://RaceRender.com/RR3/Download.html

It appears to work well with the iON Adventure data I was sent...
    iON Adventure Example.jpg

Potential Tuner
    Yay! I confirmed with more ride video I took yesterday. Thanks for the speedy response. Made the decision to buy really easy.