Thread: Wrote to SRT-4 2005 NGC3 pcm, then no crank?

Tuner in Training

Angry Wrote to SRT-4 2005 NGC3 pcm, then no crank?

Hey guys, tuning my brother's car, a 2003 Dodge Neon Srt-4. Has the NGC3 2005 pcm in it. So I began logging and got the car running, then after maybe the 5th write to the PCM the engine would not turn over. I went through diagnosing fuel, spark, battery, starter, etc. We put the original 2003 PCM on the car and the car started fine.

So, after I wrote a tune from HPtuners to the 05 pcm, HPtuners bricked it? I can still log with the key on, and it shows throttle body moving etc.. But engine will not crank with the 05 pcm. I sent an email to HPtuners, however I would just like this resolved so we can get the car running and working. Thanks.
    2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
    Opel's, upgraded fuel lobe, 3 bar map, balance shaft delete
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    And also, the original NGC3 pcm, yes the 03 pcm was NGC3, I originally was going to tune. We unlocked it and paid for it to be unlocked, logged and read the pcm fine, but hptuners says it fails to write everytime. So that is why we went ahead and bought another NGC3 pcm, but then this happens.

Edit: it seems that the VIN was not rewritten when my brother installed the new PCM. Our fault, not HPtuners. We will be attempting to change the VIN on the PCM, and see if that works.
    Last edited by PyroMechanic; 07-07-2016 at 09:18 AM.
    [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Can you post up the tune that caused it to no crank and the one just before it?

I imagine some sort of antitheft at work here. Was the VIN in the new ECU changed to the car's VIN?
    2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS: RGR 322 3v - JPC Intake - Vortech YSi-B - Magnum T56 XL - Built 8.8 - Full Suspension
    2008 Ford Shelby GT500: VMP Gen 2 - ATI 15% - SCJ TB - Full Bassani Exhaust - Full Suspension - Upper Pulley - Meth Injection - JLT 127mm

Advanced Tuner
    Did you tinker with the SKIM switches? That will cause a no crank condition if you played with those.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replies guys. I will load up the tunes I was using on the new pcm. And honestly I would guess it would be something stupid simple too, since I can still log. But it doesn't make sense that another PCM can work but not another, when the secon PCM just did and all I did was change the tune. I do not know what the "SKIM" switches are. I tried reflashing the pcm to the original file that the pcm had on it, it didn't work either. And no VIN was changed. I unlocked the new VIN in HPtuners, so both the original PCM and the new 05 pcm are unlocked, having different VIN's.
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quick searches on the SKIS for the srt4 brought up hope for the pcm. It sounds like something that may be happening, however I am still unsure why it wouldn't have done the no start from the first time we tried to crank.
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    stock 05 srt4 pcm reread.hpt

srt4 1.hpt

stock 05 srt4 nicks car.hpt

The reread is the last tune that I reread from the PCM after it didn't want to crank, thinking maybe HPT wrote to the pcm wrong and it may show an error, it didn't.

The SRT4 1 was the first modified tune.

The SRT4 nicks car was the very first tune I pulled from the PCM after we hooked the PCM up and connected the battery.
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    If you didn't change the VIN in the PCM then that is likely your issue. The VIN must match in the PCM/SKIM/key. Is the red security light on the dash illuminated? PM me me if you need the VIN changed. I offer this service.

Tuner in Training
    We did not change the VIN. I went into HP tuners and turned SKIM settings to disabled, and it still didn't work. And yes, the red dot is lit, I even asked my brother about the dot, he didn't know what it meant.
    [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Can you take a read and save the original NGC 2003 PCM?

Clearly its all down to the SKIM system, its not happy.

Senior Tuner
    All 3 reads you posted have SKIM set as disabled, but you mentioned changing it at some point to disabled and it not working.

Is there a version of the tunes where it was enabled?

Tuner in Training
    I checked to see what the settings were on the PCM that is on the car right now that runs and it is SKIM's disabled, but SKIM system capable enabled. I have tried different combinations of each yesterday and nothing worked. I can upload the original tunes tonight.
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Disabling SKIM is not yet supported on these PCMs via HP Tuners. This is supposedly going to be a function of the scanner some time in the future.

For now, you'll need to have the PCM programmed with the proper VIN/SKIM in order to use it.

Tuner in Training
    Alright, anyone have any idea how much a Dodge dealership should charge to get this done?
    [email protected]