Thread: Changed Operating System to 1 bar sd map car wont idle

Tuner in Training

Changed Operating System to 1 bar sd map car wont idle

Hi I'm new to tuning and HP Tuners, I changed my Operating system to a 1 bar SD map and now my car will not idle in park/gear, everything else is fine it drives the same. I put all the settings from my other tune in and it still wont idle, so I put the original tune back in and it is doing the same it still wont idle. Can someone please help.

Peter

2004 VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS SD1BAR EDIT4JUL16.hpt 1 bar SD tune
    2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS EDIT28jun16b.hpt standard tune before change.
    VYIILS1 04Jul16a.hpl Scanner me starting and driving.

Did you tune VE using a wideband?
    go to ECT spark correction and zero out the values from 32*F to 158*F and 0.08g to 0.54g.
    change the idle underspeed and overspeed to +- 8*
    copy your high octane table to low octane table unless you are using low octane fuel
    go to cat lightoff in spark correction and zero it out.

Hope this helps
    LS2 t56 240z, RXT Mcleod clutch FAST 92 Intake + TB, forged bottom end and H/C swap.

Tuner in Training
    No i didn't the standard tune was done by a tuner on a dyno to suit cam exhaust gears and mafless tune. I copied the standard tune into the 1 bar sd tune. I will try what u suggested tomorrow. Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Can you post your tune here so we can see it and examine what might be incorrect?

Tuner in Training
    Sorry my tunes were posted on first post maybe I need to explain it better. I will re-paste my tunes below.

2004 VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS SD1BAR EDIT4JUL16.hpt 1Bar SD tune
    2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS EDIT28jun16b.hpt Standard tune before change which did work.
    VYIILS1 04Jul16a.hpl Scanner me starting and driving with it not idling.
    2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS A4: LS1 mafless otr, comp cam232/234, Built 4L60E, TCE 4200 stall, 1 7/8 to 3.5 inch extractors 2 1/2 inch cat back exhaust, 4.10 gears

Tuner in Training
    I forgot to add when the car is cold it idles fine only when warm and hot it wont idle.
    Last edited by prolss; 07-04-2016 at 08:38 PM.
    2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS A4: LS1 mafless otr, comp cam232/234, Built 4L60E, TCE 4200 stall, 1 7/8 to 3.5 inch extractors 2 1/2 inch cat back exhaust, 4.10 gears

You do not have the needed PIDs logging to tell what is going on at idle. IAC and others are needed. It also looks like you have an issue with the O2 sensor on bank 2. Do you plan on using them or are you going for straight SD. I see no wideband data. There is no way to do a SD tune without a wideband or O2 and fuel trim.

What did you do to "I changed my Operating system to a 1 bar SD map" as your original tune was a SD 1 bar SD tune.

Tuner in Training
    Can u please tell me which PID's i need to see what is going on at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    What did you do to "I changed my Operating system to a 1 bar SD map" as your original tune was a SD 1 bar SD tune.

2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS EDIT28jun16b.hpt This was my tune before I did a FLASH "write entire" the new Operating system was Speed Density - Enhancded (RTT) OS:1273001 I used the data from my original tune(2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS EDIT28jun16b.hpt) and copied it over to the Speed Density - Enhanced (RTT) OS:1273001.

After it wouldn't idle I did another FLASH "write entire" back to original tune(2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS EDIT28jun16b.hpt) and it still wouldn't idle. The original tune was working fine (it would idle) before i decieded to FLASH Speed Density - Enhanced (RTT) operating system into it, what would cause it to not idle once it warmed up or got hot?

My original tune's (2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS EDIT28jun16b.hpt) operating system tab in VCM Editor was empty so i used this tune 2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 BASE.hpt to choose the Speed Density - Enhancded (RTT) OS:1273001, i didn't add this in my original post because i don't no if it is useful or not.
    Last edited by prolss; 07-04-2016 at 09:18 PM.

If you would please start from the beginning. Which tune worked?
    Order?

What happened with each. I want to make sure I have the facts straight. Not all OS versions work on all the same style ECMs. IE 2006 GM E38 cannot use the OS from a 2010 GM E38. In some cases changing the OS vers will BRICK the ecm as far as we are concerned. If you were the manufacturer you could recover but we cannot.

It also looks like you were running a patched OS. If so that is why the option did not come up. Do you have your original stock tune before it was changed?
    Last edited by jsllc; 07-04-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I fixed the problem it was the Base Running Airflow - idle airflow the operating system i used to get the Speed Density - Enhanced (RTT) operating system was stock as a rock and the cam in my car could not idle cause of it. Somehow i changed the idle airflow on the original tune and that caused the problem.

Just so you know it appears one O2 sensor is bad.

Tuner in Training
    Order?

What happened with each. I want to make sure I have the facts straight. Not all OS versions work on all the same style ECMs. IE 2006 GM E38 cannot use the OS from a 2010 GM E38. In some cases changing the OS vers will BRICK the ecm as far as we are concerned. If you were the manufacturer you could recover but we cannot.

It also looks like you were running a patched OS. If so that is why the option did not come up. Do you have your original stock tune before it was changed?

Tune Order:
    1. 2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS EDIT28jun16b.hpt 2004 Original Dyno tune - worked

2. 2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 BASE.hpt Used this 2004 Base file to create tune = Speed Density - Enhanced (RTT)

3. 2004 VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS SD1BAR EDIT4JUL16.hpt This is the file saved once I pressed Speed Density - Enhanced (RTT) from No 2. tune. This is the tune I was using when it wouldn't idle.

No 1. tune is the Original tune that was done by my mechanic on his dyno. I never received the Original tune from the factory for the car before he done the tune.
    No 2. is a base tune for the same year and model of car which is a 2004 VY Holden Commodore SS SeriesII. This is the tune used to create the Speed Density - Enhanced (RTT).
    No 3. is the tune that was created from No 2. tune but with all the data from No 1. tune in it.

What happened I finally realized was that somehow I copied the Base Running Airflow - idle airflow into my No 1. tune, and then I copied No 1. tune data to No 3. and which caused it not to idle when warm. My car has a Comp Cam 232/234 in it and that's why it cant idle on a base tune. so I fixed the tunes and now all is good. Sorry about the confusing write up.

Tuner in Training
    Order?

Tune Order:
    1. 2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS EDIT28jun16b.hpt 2004 Original Dyno tune - worked

2. 2004 Holden Commodore VYII SS LS1 BASE.hpt Used this 2004 Base file to create tune = Speed Density - Enhanced (RTT)

3. 2004 VYII SS LS1 CAM 411GRS SD1BAR EDIT4JUL16.hpt This is the file saved once I pressed Speed Density - Enhanced (RTT) from No 2. tune. This is the tune I was using when it wouldn't idle.
    3. VCMSuiteInfo5Jul16.txt This is for No 3.

No 1. tune is the Original tune that was done by my mechanic on his dyno. I never received the Original tune from the factory for the car before he done the tune.
    No 2. is a base tune for the same year and model of car which is a 2004 VY Holden Commodore SS SeriesII. This is the tune used to create the Speed Density - Enhanced (RTT).
    No 3. is the tune that was created from No 2. tune but with all the data from No 1. tune in it.

What happened I finally realized was that somehow I copied the Base Running Airflow - idle airflow into my No 1. tune, and then I copied No 1. tune data to No 3. and which caused it not to idle when warm. My car has a Comp Cam 232/234 in it and that's why it cant idle on a base tune. so I fixed the tunes and now all is good. Sorry about the confusing write up.

VYIILS1 05Jul16good.hpl This is a Scanner file of the car idling with the tune fixed.
    Last edited by prolss; 07-05-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Yep, looks like it idles fine. I have a cam similar in my ZL1. With a little work you can get the idle down to 700, it gives it a nice cam lope and a little shake. Here is a shot from that log. You will notice that on O2 sensor drops voltage while the other says steady. Usually means bad sensor or wiring. Only 2 reasons for this. Bad sensor or bad fueling. Should look at it. Your tune runs on trims. With a bad sensor it cannot but if you fix that sensor you can run the short trims to clean up any issues with your SD tune. Keeps things safer for you.

I looked at your old tunes you posted and did a compare. They were the same for idle air. Before and after most likely some mix up some how. I would also change the delay on your PE to 1400 rpm. Just so you know the RTT is a recent add back into ver 3.x Not all has been smoothed out. Your old tune had provisions for boost/nitrous This one will not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    They were the same because i changed both of them to the proper idle airflow. If you compare the tunes in my first post to the my last post tunes then u will c the difference. Thanks about the o2 sensor i will be changing them both.

I was just wondering can HP Tuner read EFI Live and vice versa cause im not sure if my original tune No 1. Wich was done by my mechanic/tuner was made using EFI Live.
    Last edited by prolss; 07-05-2016 at 05:05 AM.

The two tuning software files are not interchangeable. I could not find a way to move between them other than flash the car with one or the other then read with the other.